Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-01-2005 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber

maya schools

Ok everyone. I need some help here. I've been considering going to a school for Maya. I just want to hear some recommendations from you all. Like the ones that have a decent price, and I also need to know which ones are closest to Virginia.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 2 31-01-2005 , 12:56 PM
I have almoust the same question. I'am in gymnasioum currently and all my free time is going to CG studye's. In here (estonia) we don't have no such scools. Onely couple of people knows about 3D.
I know the DAve school where you can learn mostly animation and there is ofcourse gnom*n school (it seems to be one of the best).
And also my english isn't very good. When watching DVD-s I can understand almoust everything but when I start talking then it isn't so nice anymore user added image

thanks and soory for my bad english .

Noo0ooB... beginner... novice... newby... I'am new ! ! !

VERY BAD ENGLISH !
# 3 31-01-2005 , 05:25 PM
Well it all depends, do you guys want to go to school for game design or for digital animation or just some basic maya in general?

I Can't Understand What I'm Thinking
# 4 31-01-2005 , 09:07 PM
Well I think I know the basic maya. I personally like more digital animation but game design is kinda cool also. I think I'am more into digital animation user added image

VERY BAD ENGLISH !
# 5 01-02-2005 , 02:39 PM
is my english really so bad or you just ignore my post's. user added image

VERY BAD ENGLISH !
# 6 01-02-2005 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
digital-animation.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 7 02-02-2005 , 08:04 AM
Most people will tell you to get your fine arts degree. For some school that includes Digital Animation, for others it doesnt' That is if your looking for a full degree though. If you just want to improve some basic Maya skills, a lot of community colleges or art colleges will offer classes around 5 weeks in length or so.

# 8 02-02-2005 , 09:16 AM
personally in my opinion it really isnt about the degree, while it does help (showing you've had advanced education in anything helps) any employer in the biz is mainly going to base his opinion of the portfolio... to be honest its all about research, the only reason i plan on going to college to begin with (digipen here in washington USA is my choice) is becuase i feel i learn more when someone teaches it to me... but then again this was more directed twoards bojangles post then the topic creators... i havent gotten to harass him for a while:p

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 9 04-02-2005 , 04:44 PM
lol, yeah, portfolio is what the buisness is all about. Underneath all the technology though, it's still art, which is why most people(myself included) recomend a fine arts course and degree. Especially with digital animation. You have to learn two dimensions before you can properly understand three.

BTW Psuedo, I like Arizona better than Washington anyways, the heat mellows me out:p

# 10 05-02-2005 , 07:17 PM
If you wanna work on the film industery, then i often find good info from looking at the requirments and submission guildlines on studio web sites.

This is from Sony ImageWorks:

Submission Tips & Guidelines

Reel Submissions:
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - no Beta or PAL, please.

- Please do not send cd roms or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions heavily recommended.

- Videotapes should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information.

- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of work that you're most proud of-- starting with your most recent work.

- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated.

- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects.

Animators note: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio. Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).

Portfolio Submissions:
- Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address, and telephone number on the inside and outside.

- All portfolios should contain the following:

Samples of your recent work
Life Drawings
Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
Samples of your color and design sense
We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
Do not send original work.

You'll find these are the requirments for most studios [depending on the position of course], especially the more established ones.

I think it speaks for it self.

Whether of not you do a full "fine art" degree or not, some life classes will improve your work, and probably your chances of a job.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 05-02-2005 at 07:21 PM.