Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 106 24-09-2005 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Falott
vladimirjp

thx for the boolean hint. sounds logic and tried that a minute before. it doesn´t work. if the boolean attribute is once applied (rotateY) the Y-axis is locked with 1 (which might mean boolean incoming connection) but it cant be rotated anymore. X,Z no problem but Y is fixed.

i think its because u are maybe applying as an expression not a control attribute.

if u do it as a control attr, it will change color, but it will not be locked.
works for me fine when i need to use it.

# 107 24-09-2005 , 10:04 AM
hm. for me it isn´t working. and I did like U said. no expression, just added a boolean attribute on the joint and set it to 1. even if it´s turned off, the rotation is locked. I couldn´t even tell where to look for salvation. Hypergraph has no information - maybe the Graph Editor would be the place to go, but I´m not very familiar with it yet.

don´t waste your time anymore friend. there will be a solution some day. I´m just not that far to have a global understanding of maya. thank you though valdimir!

thx for the link Jango, bookmarked it! his site is very informative. but I guess I´m missing some very basic context here. I´ll go on with painting weights and setting influence objects and have a look at SDK again soon, cause right now I feel like reaching deadlock.

kind regards!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 108 24-09-2005 , 11:04 PM
user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 109 26-09-2005 , 12:31 PM
- deleted -

Last edited by Falott; 30-09-2005 at 03:03 PM.
# 110 30-09-2005 , 03:17 PM

Id probably copy the settings into a text doc then change all from left to right, then set up the numeric values on the SDKs for the opposing hand again copied from the left but again change the orientation from positive to minus (depending) then just copy and paste each one accordingly.

at first I didn´t understand what you mean by that, maybe because it is the most reasonable solution... I tried to find a way for quickly minus scaling the damn hand and get it somehow into hirarchy at the other side. but I failed on finding an easy way without any unneccessary transform nodes which have odd rotation values themselfs.

in the end i found myself writing down the SDK values into wordpad by hand like you do Jay. but I´m asking mayself if there is a MEL way to automatically get all selected L_joint´s .rotationXYZ values, to store them somewhere and apply them to the opposite R_Joints...?

unfortunately I don´t know anything about MEL. but I got interested in now.

# 111 30-09-2005 , 03:30 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
What about 'search and replace names' in the modify menu set.
It works for Joints but not sure about SDKs as I havent tried it.

Cheers
Jay

# 112 30-09-2005 , 04:01 PM
LOL! It might take me another 2 days to understand what you just said.

I don´t quite know what I should rename here - the applied SDKs? what I figured out yet is to grab the rotation values from all lefthand fingers and transfer them to the righthand fingers in one simple step. I just don´t know what this simple step could be...

when the values have been transfered once I would just select the joints + locator and KEY them. with textEditor it´s very time-consuming to manually transfer each rotValue.

but thx alot for this workaround!

kind regards
daniel

# 113 30-09-2005 , 06:07 PM
Im registered at J.Schleifers site I'll ask there as its bugging me too now.

Regards

Jay

# 114 30-09-2005 , 07:16 PM
Ive asked, so just waiting on a reply

Jay

# 115 01-10-2005 , 08:06 AM
cool Jay!

can you maybe post a link to the thread here? or just tell what he said then.

thx mate!

# 116 01-10-2005 , 09:18 AM
Hey Falott

No worries, that why we are here, to Learn!

I did it as soon as Id written my reply so I'll let you know once I do.

Jay

# 117 01-10-2005 , 09:27 AM
Hey Falott

The answer is:

'A SDK produces an anim curve, thats all its really doing. So if open up the hypergraph and find the curve, u can just dup it and connect it to the mirror joint and the mirror driver. Depending on ur joint orientation u might need to flip some of the animation in the graph editor, or stuff in a reverseNode.

Its something thats best of scripted tho.'

Hope it works. You can thank Andimation at www.Jonhandhisdog.com in the general questions forum if it works

Jay

# 118 01-10-2005 , 03:59 PM
okay! sounds interesting. I´ll try it tonight when have time.
as a preview as you can see here, there are pretty loot of animation curves connected to a lot of joints. this would only be 4 added attributes to control the left hand.

I will tell here when I figured out how to do..

Attached Thumbnails

# 119 09-10-2005 , 12:33 AM
guess what - I didn´t find out.. but anyways! I bound the low res skin to the skeleton and tried to pose her. the spine is not very intuitiv to control yet.

Attached Thumbnails

# 120 12-10-2005 , 07:52 PM
Im adding my first influence object and it won´t influence the body by component type. there is this option "Use Components" from the skinCluster2. turning it on should allow me to tweak the verts from the influence object, not only its transform node and have influence on the parentGeometry.

but it does not!

someone has an idea?

___Edit--------

I forgot to check the "Use Geometry" box when performing "Ad Influence". it´s ok now.

Attached Images

Last edited by Falott; 12-10-2005 at 07:58 PM.