Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-09-2005 , 06:28 PM

Holes in Sub-D's?

I dug around all night for a good answer but I haven't found any, so I'll post here.

I'm new here and have been a member for a few days, but I spent it mostly poking around. I was going to post my WIP project, but I hit some major snags... Most of them were solved by reworking the entire model (classical guitar) in SUB-D's, but now, there's this.

The model is near complete, but I realized now that I can't just *cut* the shape out for the soundhole or the headstock with booleans.

Here's a picture to show what I need. There's the model to the right which is the near-complete sub-D model, and on the right is the polygonal guitar model, complete with the holes. The Poly model has one too many errors in the modelling of it so it really is just useless (even though it looks pretty... The fretboard/frets/strings/saddle parts are salvageable and will be transfered to the SUB-D model when it is done... The problems in the model are all just in the main body/headstock)

How can I get holes like those into this sub-D mesh? Booleans don't work, and all the times I converted the SUB-D into something else, it never turned out 'quite right'. So really, now I just need to see if there really *are* any ways of cutting holes into this thing.

If I have to model the holes, does anyone have at least a quick tutorial or something of the sort to help get me through that? The holes on the headstock worry me the most, if I'm going to model the holes, since they have to be identical...

Anyways, here's that render.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-09-2005 , 06:30 PM
Here's a front-view of the wires.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 24-09-2005 , 07:53 PM
For the front of the guitar (where the keys go -- I'm not perfect at vocabulary :p) I would convert to polygons, subdivide until I had holes over the proper proportions, delete faces over the holes, use the vertices to Create Polygon, clean up the rest of the faces using delete face/create polygon, then smooth as desired (then clean up w/ delete face/create polygon again, then polySoftEdge, etc.)

Make sure to combine then Merge Vertex after CreatePoly. There an easier way? Most likely... I don't know it though.