Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 61 16-05-2010 , 03:06 AM
Lifetime Member

first texture test

Ok Im into the texture side, Kurt thanks, I use PS a little bit and you have refreshed and shown some good stuff.

Ok I couldnt find a metal texture so I made my own. Grabbed one of the colours I use mucked around with it but it doesnt look right to me?? can I have some critique please, and if you want to throw things at me for doing it wrong, please throw food......Im hungry.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 16-05-2010 at 03:22 AM.
# 62 16-05-2010 , 03:19 AM
Lifetime Member
And if asked the reason it is grey/green at the end is Im doing it in Australian fatigue instead of the British one. Texture ref below

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 63 16-05-2010 , 04:11 AM
Lifetime Member
ventral colour

doesnt look too bad, I might apply some noise to it.user added image

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 64 16-05-2010 , 08:33 AM
Nice colloring.
Give a very hard solid surface.
With some dirt will look fantastic.

# 65 16-05-2010 , 10:09 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi stormy how are ya??

Thanks mate!! its my very first texture so I am trying very hard not to bugger it up!!! Dont worry mate, these are just the base coats, I will be adding dirt, dust, fuel burns etc as well mate. I HATE showroom military vehicles LOL. Nice and dirty!!

cheers bullet

heres a shot of the ventral with noise in the texture so it doesnt look too flat.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 66 16-05-2010 , 12:31 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok last one for the night, beeddddttiiimmeeee.

Start of the 2 tone.

cheers bullet:zzz:

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 67 16-05-2010 , 04:00 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
If you are having problem matching your seam you can use the maya paint tool to fix them...........dave

# 68 16-05-2010 , 09:19 PM
Lifetime Member
hanks dave,

I will keep that in mind when I get the 2 tone done and need to touch up.

I will hopefully have the base done tonight.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 69 17-05-2010 , 12:06 PM
Lifetime Member
If anyone can answer, what is the best method to get a high res on the fiddly bits?? dave is that the maya paint tool??

cheers bullet

lighting, I guess I have to think about that shortly too? damn, more brain cells to burn.

bullet1968

# 70 17-05-2010 , 03:32 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
I have maya unlimited go to rendering then texture its called the 3D paint tool, then I think you need to change the paint opereation to clone.............dave

answer to your first question would be to make the small part bigger in uv space

Last edited by daverave; 17-05-2010 at 03:36 PM.
# 71 17-05-2010 , 09:25 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi dave,

thank mate, I have unlimited 8 so I should have it.

Yeh I thought the UV scale had something to do with it. I have already exported the whole thing. I guess I could miss the part out in the 'total' UV and just export the part I want and assign a new material.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 72 18-05-2010 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber
After all the UV wrangling its great when a model starts to come to life

My tip for the week would be dont forget to keep your photo shop layers labelled properly.

Later on you will have tonnes of them. You will also have several grime layers that you can combine seperatley at the end to create a dirt mask to break up the reflections.

Dont mess with scaling UV's too mutch try a higher res texture, if certain parts arnt uniform you will find it difficult to create a nice bump map for the rivets and panels, which i allways do first, it guides me then where the dirt and scratches should go etc..

Have fun Bullet, looking good.

free memory low..exception thrown
# 73 18-05-2010 , 08:37 AM
Lifetime Member
Thank paldav,

yes it is satisfying now to get the life into the girl!!! I learnt some tricks etc when mapping now, so I will keep that in my mind.

Yeh mate, layers, used to using them at work, kerb layer, road layer etc etc so that isnt a problem. I save the PSD quite regular so all of my layers are there. I have merged a few though. I keep them well named so its not confusing.

I did read somehwere that scaling UV's too much could end up pear shape, so I have that in mind too. Higher res texture?? I will Google that one mate..LOL I know how to do the simple things in PS not overly familiar with all of its beauty yet, another avenue for brain destruction!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 74 18-05-2010 , 11:22 AM
Lifetime Member
Well Im into the tut where Kurt is mucking around in Maya and PS, I have sort of followed his lead, PS shadows, blur etc, Maya, fractal, grain colour etc. I dont like the look of it?? Can anyone crit please?

I think the fatigue is too transparent in the Olive green and the edges are too spread ie not clean lines.

The overall fractal I think has given it a 'blotchy' look too I reckon.

cheers bullet:headbang:

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 75 18-05-2010 , 12:53 PM
Subscriber
What i did when i first started texturing was to get free concrete textures and stuff and rusty metal.

Import them into your master psd file then play with the blending modes and opacity, also paint with the eraser set to soft and low opacity.

The fractal can look too uniform overall. When i get home i will send you one of my textures, the one i used for some of my star wars models is full of these kind of cheats.

Give you somthing to jam off and do better.

free memory low..exception thrown