Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-08-2003 , 12:02 PM

Texture mapping

Hi there, i'm having trouble placing a texture map onto my model, i've tried placing the same texture onto another object - say a simple nurb sphere - and the texture works fine, but when I try the same process on my model the map doesnt appear, neither in the main view or when I try to render it.
I've tried texturing both my skinned/rigged model and just the model before skinning/rigging but the same thing happens.

Does anyone know whats happening?

Thanks for any help peeps!

# 2 27-08-2003 , 12:14 PM
The Maya Mountain
if you're dealing with polygons, you may need to UV map your model.

# 3 27-08-2003 , 12:23 PM
yep it's a poly model, so how come the texture works on a poly sphere?

# 4 27-08-2003 , 12:34 PM
Heres a screen grab of my model, sorry about the large file but hopefully it will show up how it looks when i press hotkey 6 after ive tried to add the texture.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 27-08-2003 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
Have you tried selecting and mapping the UV's? If you select the model and go into edit polygons/ texture you will see various options. Although you will probably want to redo it, automatic mapping sometimes helps fix the whoops can't find the UV thing.

# 6 27-08-2003 , 01:51 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yes, that is an indication of no UVs on the model. The reason it works on a primitive sphere is because primitives come with UVs. When you start to cut, extrude, split, etc a model, the new geometry you are creating does not come with UVs. Eventually, when you get a completed model, NONE of your geometry has UVs, as you are seeing.

I have a little freebie texture tutorial at my site if interested. Mapping UVs is a long, tedious process, but a necessary one.

# 7 27-08-2003 , 02:26 PM
Thanks Mike, i'll have a go at your uv tutorial before I go any further.

Thanks loads again guys.

# 8 27-08-2003 , 05:08 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I have a little freebie texture tutorial at my site if interested. Mapping UVs is a long, tedious process, but a necessary one.

Yes, it took this one, a book, and 2 other texturing tutorials before the lightbulb finally glowed in my head user added image I was not a fast learner of UVs but I'm slowly beating them into submission. 'Twas a nice tutorial and the one which finally flipped the switch.

# 9 27-08-2003 , 07:07 PM
UV mapping has to the worst thing about this sorta work... it soooo damn tedious user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB