Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-02-2004 , 11:53 AM
Subscriber

Animating a trunk

Hi everyone.

I have built this little dude, and have made him with a trunk. I want the trunk to flop down and act like it was a proper trunk. He is ready for animation with all his joints. But i would rather not use joints for his trunk. I would like it to behave natrualy. Any idea how i could animate it without useing joints?
check the pic if your confused

Thanks Heaps

Nickuser added image

Attached Images
# 2 16-02-2004 , 12:51 PM
Subscriber
Turn the trunk into a softbody - making sure to keep and hide the original. Then set the original as the goal and paint weights. Should do the trick.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 3 16-02-2004 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
oh of course.. ahh man i should have thought of that. Thanks thats what i will try!

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 4 16-02-2004 , 01:52 PM
Subscriber
hmm i have del, the trunk, and made a new softbody trunk, but i cant get the soft body to attach to the poly. I tried useing a cluster but that didnt work. Do you know of a way to attach a softbody to a poly?

# 5 16-02-2004 , 02:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
I think using bones would work quite well.

I'm not a soft-body expert, but I don't think you can attach a softbody to another object. I think you'd want to duplicate the entire body and make all of it rigid except for the trunk. I'm not sure how rigging might be affected by that, though.

# 6 16-02-2004 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber
I dont have Maya in front of me, so cannot try this, but can you not parent the softbody to the poly?

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 7 16-02-2004 , 11:03 PM
Subscriber
nope i tried that, and the trunk just falls away like its not even attached when i add some gravity. thanks for the replys though

# 8 17-02-2004 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber
you need to paint some weights on the trunk. try 1's up at the top.. and like a .5 lower. try to twist the original so that the trunk is in a more natrual position. you might also need to use some springs to keep it from falling to the flore.

# 9 19-02-2004 , 08:36 AM
Subscriber
thanks pony. I have it working well, I ended up useing about ten joints along the trunk. Then used a IK spline handle and attached a cluster to the vertex. I parented the cluster to a nurb sphere, then then attached another nurbs sphere to that, with a spring. It worked really well. This way i can control it with gravity and such. I had no luck with the soft body.. Thanks for all the replys