Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-03-2011 , 12:21 AM

shatter effect question

Hey guys Im very very new to Maya and am trying to do a shatter effect on a poly model I made. I successfully shattered a primitive sphere, but when I try to do this on the model I made I get this error.

crackShatter( "crackShatter", 5, 200, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4, "rigid bodies with collisions off", 1, 0);
// Error: Selection not valid for crack shatter. Please select exactly one vertex or CV, and nothing else. //
// Error: An error occurred while running the Crack Shatter script. Results may be invalid. If necessary, undo to restore the previous situation. //
// Warning: The script editor must contain at least one executer tab. //

I am doing the exact same thing that I did with the sphere. I have the model in object mode, delete the history and freeze transformations. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

# 2 08-03-2011 , 12:42 AM
are u using the default shatter effect that may provides?

# 3 08-03-2011 , 02:02 AM
yes. I go into effects, then the shatter options box. When i try to do a solid shatter and click create, it gives me that error.

# 4 08-03-2011 , 05:16 AM
Subscriber
Did you read the error message? The answer is there

I did what you did, i selected a sphere and did a cracked shatter and it gave the same error
then i did what the error message said to do and it worked

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 08-03-2011 , 03:41 PM
same here..also i have found a different way to do some really cool shatter effect using ncloths they look really sweet if u want to know how i can show u or i guess technically tell u. soo just lemme know hope it works! user added image

# 6 26-12-2013 , 01:21 PM

Delete by type

Hello, I know it is a very old tread but maybe it could help some body.

Just select the object and go to: Edit/Delete By Type/History before applying the Shatter.
If you try to apply the shatter without deleting by type history you will get this error:
{An error occurred while running the Crack Shatter script. Results may be invalid. If necessary, undo to restore the previous situation.} And the shatter will not be successful.
Regards.