Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-09-2003 , 11:39 PM

Best technique to go about modeling this?

In my 3D class we are doing our first modeling project. We had to pick an industrial object, and I chose my phone. No using any image mapping. How would you guys recommend modeling this?

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 2 22-09-2003 , 08:15 AM
with great care and a lot of time....user added image you can use both three surface types on a single model, (and convert em to oter type futher tweack, reconvert, etc...).
What im trying to tell you is that you should mix all them, using the surface type that allows you to model each single piece of the model faster and eficientlyer (which is a matter of what are you most confortable with)...
looks like i would use mainly subd in polyproxymode for the phone tough...

# 3 22-09-2003 , 09:10 AM
Subscriber
I'm very noob... but I think SubD's would be a good choice user added image

whatever!
# 4 22-09-2003 , 01:57 PM
Subscriber
If i had to model that specific phone I would use a multi patch model technique.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 22-09-2003 , 02:03 PM
The Maya Mountain
polygons would be my choice.

As you can see, any type of geometry will work. You just need to determine which works best for you.

# 6 22-09-2003 , 02:46 PM
I tried doing it a few ways and haven't really had the best of luck so far. NURBS has gotten me the best overall shape of the phone, but I'm having a lot of "symmetrical" problems, and lining everything up. So now, based on my teachers advice, I am using some lofted curves to create the top flip part of the phone, and then am supposed to create the bottom part. That's pretty much where I'm stuck.

I like working with polygons personally, but it's not that easy to get that curved shape to be very accurate.

# 7 22-09-2003 , 02:50 PM
Here's some shots of what I have so far using the lofted curve technique:

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 22-09-2003 , 02:52 PM
Wireframe

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 22-09-2003 , 03:24 PM

Originally posted by iron_tick
If i had to model that specific phone I would use a multi patch model technique.

That is something, that i am looking for:
A tutorial about multi patch modeling. Do you know any.
Am i right, multi patch is about using "Surface patches" from the NURBS- menu?
I have always been wondering what this is NURBS Component can be used for...
Pretty Noob, i knowuser added image
Greetings
MoYo

# 10 23-09-2003 , 10:27 AM
multipatch i cool for modeling cars, even the phone, but i would advice not to try to make organic thingies with that technique its a helluva lot harder than with other techniques/topologys.

I remember theres a tut about multipatch face modeling on the f1 or on alias.com... its meant to show you blendshapes, but i think it starts with modeling the face with patches... so search f1 tuts for blendshapes

As you know nurbs are always 4 sided... multipatch modeling is about making and connecting(stitching) 4 sided patches in the right way to make the shape youre trying to do...

well the surface patches comand extracts single "unit" patches from a larger surface... you can then attach em again... i myself have not found much utility on that, but maybe someone will tell ya what it could be used for...

# 11 23-09-2003 , 11:56 AM
Hi,
i found this one
https://www.heuett3d.com/tutorial.html
looks good, but i have not found time to check it out properly, yet.
Hmm..., as a noob i have not heared about the 4- side fact.
But cannnot you do a triangle and then do a planar surface?
Must check it out, or did i get you wrong somehow
Greetings
Arnieuser added image

# 12 23-09-2003 , 02:36 PM
I can't do any image mapping though....So basically no path modeling....

# 13 23-09-2003 , 03:42 PM

Originally posted by moyo

Hmm..., as a noob i have not heared about the 4- side fact.
But cannnot you do a triangle and then do a planar surface?
Must check it out, or did i get you wrong somehow
Greetings
Arnieuser added image

That would be cool... problem is tha planars are just that, a plane (4sided) trimed to match the curve(s)... Problem is: a trim doesnt actually cuts nothing... the plane is still a plane, just that the "outer" range of the surface is not visible... hit F8 an youll see the CVs(and youll be able to edit em)... but thats bad because you cant stitch trim edges nor modify the surface selecting and trying to move em or in any other way...

# 14 23-09-2003 , 08:49 PM
Oooh, had problems understanding this loose english grammar. Well, i am german, but i hope, i got some right information out of it.
So, you meant a plane is not really a plane, just pretending to look like a plane? Probably not. Must have got something to with the seam and so on.
Eh, i think i should spend some time on very basical 3d stuff.
I am really sorry. Do you know any link about that?
In fact i did some Maya NURBs modeling but never i attached or stiched.
It never worked out properly, so turned to something else in the infinite paths of Maya...
Greetings
MoYo

# 15 24-09-2003 , 01:53 AM
no, what i meant is that a planar IS really a plane, just pretending to look like other thing, it has to do with trims (the problem being trim edges)... wich are a entely different thing than stitches...

also im not exactly a "maya master" just trying to hand some info on a issue which i myself user added image a lot, no more, no less...

Last edited by dragonfx; 24-09-2003 at 02:00 AM.