Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-04-2004 , 04:42 PM

Any Facing Ratio Tutorials

Hey guys!

Pure_morning give me a hint on a thread of mine about facing ratio and i want to learn how to use it, I can't find any good reference or tutorials to get my feet wet....any suggestions?
on the maya docs talks about it, but no specifics.....

Thanks!!

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 2 01-04-2004 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
facing ratio creates the changing value, between 0 an 1. this value is creaed by the angle betwee the normal of the surface and the direction of the camera. i use it on anything that has transparency.
to test this u can create a plane and put a checker texture on it
make the texture bright colors, like red and white
then create a blinn, make the color 60%gray and make it 75% transparent. then render
now attatch a sampler info node's facing ration to the blinn's transparency RGB to see the difference

# 3 01-04-2004 , 06:50 PM
Oh man thanks

one more qustion, the sampler info node is the node that i will always use if I want to use the facing ratio property?

thank again

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 4 01-04-2004 , 06:51 PM
Subscriber
i think there are other nodes with facing ratio property, but i've only used with sampler info...
just check to see if other have that property

# 5 01-04-2004 , 07:13 PM
again thanks for the info and time!!!