Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-07-2005 , 03:14 PM

My firs model (SpellBreaker's weapon)

hi all.

I've curently started using Maya and for my first model I'm thinking of making the weapon that the Blood elf "Spellbreaker" in Warcraft 3 uses.

I've gotten a bit on the way and have run into a problem connecting the grip to the blade.

my reference picture:
user added image

my progress this far:
user added image

and finaly my problem:
user added image

Like I said earlier I need to conect the grip (the cylinder) to the blade but I have no idea of how to do it.

Both feedback and help is welcome

# 2 03-07-2005 , 04:07 PM
Theres 3 ways you con put them together.

1. Edit > parent

2. Polygon > Combine

3 Polygon > Booleans > Union

These are what I know anyway, if anyone else has a better way please shareuser added image

# 3 03-07-2005 , 10:13 PM
That's not what I was meaning by conecting.
I meant doing so that the cylinder and blade where conected as in "vertex conection".

Any how....
I desided to make a second cylinder, combine the three parts so they where considered to be one pice, modify the second cylinder so in one end it had the same amount of vertexes as the first cylinder. Then combine the vertexes in that end, and in the other ent i made it have only 6 vertexes and conecting those to 6 vertexes on the blade.

Here is a picture of the result:
user added image

# 4 04-07-2005 , 12:42 PM
user added image

Well, now I've completed the model and I'm going to texture it. And this is where i run into my next trouble.

I would like to have the blade/staff have the same collor as the one in the picture(in my first post), but i have no idea how to bake one part of the model have one specific collor/texture and another part have a second texture.

# 5 06-07-2005 , 05:30 PM
could anyone help me with how i put a sertan texture to one part of my object, and another texture to a second part of the model?