Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 05-07-2005 , 03:50 PM

July/Aug - Noob - SpiffyAnim8ter

Well this is my first challenge and really my first full project. Hopefully it won't look too bad. This is a quick sketch iI did of my idea, please pardon the crappy 2nd grade drawing level I have user added image

https://spiffyguy.com/simplymaya/schoolsketch.jpg

Anyway my idea was to have a kid on his first day of school, standing outside the school with the look of fear on his face. For the lighting side I hope to make the kid and the stuff on the left side to be very bright and saturated, using mainly rounded smooth objects. I hope to not have shadows on that side of the project and jsut seem to have a glow about it.

The right hand side of the pic is the school and it will look grim. Long shadows, dimly lite and desaturated. Clouds in the sky or may some fog. The sign will be in decay and the flowers will be wilted. The objects on this side I will try to have sharp edges and just seem wicked and creepy.

Over the whole thing I hope to try to do a cartoony look or maybe claymation for the textures. I hope I can pull off the look. I haven't worked much with lighting so it will be a challenge. All I can do is try right? So comment away while i get started.

# 2 05-07-2005 , 04:03 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Remembers me of my first day in school. I tought that there was a witch there that fed herself with stupid children brains.:p :p

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 3 05-07-2005 , 04:38 PM
I was never a big fan of school. I was short and got beat up a lot lol. So far pretty basic. All polys. The ground does drop down to make a curb but you can see it in this shot. Still thinking about how to set the lighting up. Normal to achieve the desired effect I am sure the desaturation of the right side would be done in post. I an going to try to set up shaders or something to make the left have more inner glow than the right. Tha tmay produce what I want.

https://spiffyguy.com/simplymaya/school_01.jpg

# 4 05-07-2005 , 11:16 PM
I added in the tree. Still working on that but I think it looking good. Both the tree and the "leaves" poly will be converted to subds to smooth them out. I will wait until I am sure I like them then switch them for good. The entry way needs a little work but I wanted to try to get a sinster kind of look. Not sure how I am going to do the school behind it though. Whether to make just a wall with some windows or the have it turn at the end. Also past the tree not sure what to do in that area. Maybe just slap some sort of image up as a background. Tomorrow I will try to get the sky put in and some lighting.
https://spiffyguy.com/simplymaya/school_02.jpg

So any suggestions so far?

# 5 06-07-2005 , 03:17 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Why don't u keep the tree naked? It'll look more decrepit that way lol.

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 6 08-07-2005 , 06:35 PM
I removed the leaf structure from the tree. While I think splitting the scene in a way would be cool, i don't think i got the skills to pull it off. So naked tree and worked some more branches out. I am still working on what i want for the school. One question is if I put windows on the school how do i want to do that? Still new to texturing so I am trying to understand the process. If I build the window out of the wall how will you add a transparent shader for just that part. or would it be better to build the window as a seperate geomentry and just hang it up on a hole in the wall? let me know what you guys think. here is my progress so far.

https://spiffyguy.com/simplymaya/school_03.jpg