Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-09-2006 , 09:41 PM

window

This is my second serious render: a window with flowers (I think it's in Italy). I used Mental Ray (but only Maya materials), GI, FG and HDRI. I also used photoshop to correct saturation and blur.

I hope you like it. Any comments and critics are welcomed.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-09-2006 , 10:18 PM
That's Nice! user added image
Really like it!

But if you want it to look even more real, fix the brick texture, mahe the window alittle dirty andtry to use some Abmient occlusion user added image

Keep it up! user added image

# 3 15-09-2006 , 05:26 AM
Thanks arneoog,

Which bricks are you referring to? The red ones? When you say occlusion, do you mean an ambient occlusion as a MR material (for example, connected to the ambient node of a Lambert material)?

# 4 15-09-2006 , 08:26 PM
19 year Veteran
I think the shutters and window could use some weathering to them, but over all I think you did an awsome job.user added image

# 5 16-09-2006 , 01:00 AM
I used a photo I've found on the net, and tried to reproduce it as close as possible, but clearly it is far from being perfect:

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 16-09-2006 , 01:56 AM
Subscriber
i think the glass is a little too reflective

i think u shoud be able to see a little inside the room

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 7 17-09-2006 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
looks good, but here is some crit:

1) the flowers on the window...try using pfx and convert to polys, or something else.
2) the bump map that someone else mentioned, it needs better definition. Maybe the resolution on your text file is not high enough...tried displacement + bump?
3) Not sure if there is a benefit of using ambient occlusion if you are already using FG (someone mentioned to use ambient occlusion). But you can try and see what happens.
4) the Glass window is too smooth.
5) the background wall doesnt look as part of the picture.

Cheers

# 8 17-09-2006 , 12:23 AM
Thanks everyone!

The flowers were made with paint effects and then converted to polys. Then, I changed saturation and contrast in photoshop because they looked really ugly. Also, I don't know why, but the back buildings and the church (or whatever it is) lacked of deepness, I mean, they seemed to be at the same plane of the front building. So I used some blurring, but you see; now they look too blurred. Finally the glass was too hard to reproduce so I just used the same image from the real photo and pasted onto the final render (I know this is very cheap, but I was going crazy)

Those are my very "naïf" solutions to solve render issues. I know there's a better way to do it but for now I'm just learning.

# 9 24-09-2006 , 08:05 AM
Subscriber
It's always the little things which often come out the nicest! GREAT job!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 10 25-09-2006 , 01:43 AM
yeah - excellent job edoplaza - I have looked at this a few times and I like it a lot!

Good work mate!user added image

# 11 27-09-2006 , 04:42 AM
Thanks Lt Jim and arran, I really appreciate your comments.

Cheers!

Eduardo