Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-04-2009 , 11:53 AM

high res polygon loft

does anybody know what setting I need to tweak to make my polygon loft between two curves less triangulated so that it actually follows the line of the curves and not just approximates it? Basically I want it to have the smoothness of a nurb loft, but with polygons. Conversion doesn't work. I know this is probably really simple but can't find it anywhere!

# 2 19-04-2009 , 06:18 AM
Subscriber
when you loft, assuming you have construction history on, you can change the way the NURBS conversion went if you told the loft to do the conversion to polygons as well

in the channel box you can change the attributes of the nurbsTessellate node that pops up after converting to polygons

play with the Format,
make the polygon type quads

and if your are using the general format then the U Number and V Number can increase the number of polygons (control click both and middle mouse drag to change them both at the same time)

remember, polygons can never copy NURBS exactly because edges are always going to be straight.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 19-04-2009 , 10:45 AM
Thankyou for all of your help! Do you mean, do the loft as a nurb, then convert it to polygons, then edit it in the channel box?

# 4 19-04-2009 , 10:54 AM
Actually. have figured it out! Thankyou so much for your advice. Ive spent about a day trying to figure that out!