Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 09-05-2009 , 10:25 AM
zico_samagoria : thanks for that cool idea, i've used the photoshop idea and its pretty nice

cri8bat : that tut was pretty helpful, ive done Ncloth on the Bed sheet

so anyways ive enabled the raytracing, it looks ok 2 me. wat do u guyz think?

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 09-05-2009 , 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
It is looking a lot better but a few things bother me, the shadows look really sharp, there seems to be a light coming from below, the floor seems too reflective (I could see someone slipping and cracking their skull open lol) and I think the res on the textures may be low and it could also be the render settings stopping you from getting a crisper image.

- Genny
# 18 10-05-2009 , 05:52 PM
You are right GecT, and honestly saying Lighting is like the most Frustrating part in 3D World user added image ... this is my first time playing with lights and its really aint easy, lots of linking and relationships here and there.

i mean its fun to seeing the final render at the end of the day but getting wat you want needs a lot of patients.

so anyways im ganna start playing with the textures and getting a proper shadow.

# 19 10-05-2009 , 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, indeed it isn't a walk in the park at first but once you get used to it, it becomes less difficult but it can be a bit tedious at times. I think why its such a pain in your butt at the moment is because as you said, its your first time messing with lighting and on top of that you're doing a challenge that requires you to fake, indirect lighting and such. Stay on it and good luck :p

- Genny
# 20 12-05-2009 , 01:59 PM
Here is an update, changed loads of things

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 21-05-2009 , 04:33 PM
alright i think thats where im ganna put a full stop to it.

C&C are welcome

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 21-05-2009 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
you're using raytrace shadows right?

increase the light angle and shadow rays, make the shadows less sharp

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 23 25-05-2009 , 10:20 AM
yeah mate im using it now.

and ive increased the light angle and shadow rays but its still sharp.

ive tried changing and adding new lights but its still not giving me the shadow that i want :headbang:

any other ideas u think that i need to change to get the smooth shadow?

# 24 29-05-2009 , 05:23 PM
Alright the results are out for the challenge user added image and i've gotten second place Yaya. :attn:

Well the last image I’ve posted was the image ive sent and surprisingly I’ve gotten second spot.

but honestly the only part that disappointed me was the shadow part, so to that ive just purchased a lighting DVD by "Jeremy Birn" which is pretty interesting and informative.

anyways i was just letting u guyz know cuz of all your guyz Help user added image

Thanks Simply Maya Community

user added image

# 25 29-05-2009 , 11:36 PM
Super Moderator
Grats on the spot. As for the soft shadows thing, if increasing the light angle to like 5 or something doesn't make much of a difference try something drastic like 50 just to see if changing it will make a difference period.

- Genny
# 26 30-05-2009 , 05:48 AM
OMG, i finally got wat you meant. Thanks :bow:

the whole time i thought the light angle scroll can't go any higher then 1, i was struggling and worrying about other attributes and it was just as simple light angle which needed to be pushed up to 15.

Anyways here is wat i got with the light angle push to 15

Attached Thumbnails