Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 03-01-2010 , 01:55 AM
Hey RC, I'm doing it kind of frame by frame, well, set keyframes on main controls and some actual frame by frame on other smaller parts like his head and arms. No gravity or anything, this is the first time I've tried animating so I'm a little too new (and scared!...) to try something like that yet! lol

If all goes well I may add a gravity feild in there to effect his hair, and if I get that right I might even try some ncloth on his clothing, but then again I'll probably leave that to a future project and just keep practising timing for now.

Thanks for the comments! And I'll look forward to some epicness from you in the future....

# 32 03-01-2010 , 02:00 AM
Thanks Tom!

Not sure exactly how I'm doing it either....lol!

But I'm growing in confidence with it quite quickly, so hopefully it'll get better with time. Animation and cartoons were the main reason I started learning Maya so it really helps that you and others are appreciating what I've done so far! Thankyou!

I think once I've got the hang of body movement to a point where I have a decent understanding of it, I'll start on facial animation and try my hand at that. I have a plan to make a short (well, hopefully 20 minute) skate video, which has a bit of a storyline to it, hopefully I'll learn enough to make a decent job of it.

# 33 03-01-2010 , 12:17 PM
I've added another trick to the clip and it's now 20 seconds long, so I think I'll do one more for a bit more practice at timing without it textured then start texturing the character and the scenes.
Then I'll start all over again and create 4-5 new tricks for the final animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-DNWsdN9s

# 34 03-01-2010 , 12:22 PM
Looks great!

Maybe a bit more weight in some of the stunts would realyl sell it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 35 03-01-2010 , 12:30 PM
Thanks Steve!

Yeah, I can see bits here and there where I could have made it feel a bit more weighty, I think each one I'm doing I'm getting to see how the timing of it all works a little better though. So hopefully they'll get a little nicer the more I do.
Cheers for pointing that out to me.

I picked skateboarding for this battle for two reasons, one, I did it myself for 20 years so I know the movements involved pretty well, and two, it's got so much variety of movement in it!
Lots of fun being had doing it anyway so I'm happy!

# 36 03-01-2010 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber
well it certainly seems like you've been skateboarding for a long time!

20 seconds already, you must be loving it!

that last trick seemed like it was sped up at the end just to stuff it into the 20 seconds

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 37 03-01-2010 , 10:52 PM
Yeah, I did notice that myself, it was meant to be the speed gained by coming back into the ramp, the weird thing is that it looks like the two different angles of that trick have a different speed to them at the end, but they don't.
Not really worried, it's only a tester after all, I'll spend longer on the final animation.

# 38 04-01-2010 , 04:31 AM
I've done a bit of texturing on my character, not going to do too much in the way of detailing, just something to make him look a little less smooth.
Not sure what to do about his skin at the moment, I've just stuck a blinn on him with a pinkish colour for now and I'll give that some more thought.

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 07-01-2010 , 12:32 AM
I've done a textured version of one of the tricks in my animation, so the start to the final piece has begun.
For the purposes of this little battle I won't be doing much more to this part of it, but when the battle is finished I'll be working on it, and the rest of the completed clip, more.
This part needs little bits done to it like animation on the fingers, and the sway of the trees needs a little tweaking too, but I'm quite happy with it so far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4McsVkO1VY

# 40 07-01-2010 , 12:50 AM
EduSciVis-er
This is a pretty one-sided battle so far... haha.

Your stuff looks awesome so far. The one thing I would say about the last clip there is that there's not enough contrast in the speed of the trick. I'm assuming the bit where he's doing the board flip is deliberately slo-mo, right? In that case, the lead up to it should be snappier I think, then a really obvious slow down. Just a thought.

I'll be posting some updates someday. user added image I've got the set mostly finished, but not textured or completely lit yet. I made the mistake of buying Adobe Production Premium yesterday and had to install everything, but I've told myself not to start playing with After Effects, Premier Pro, Photoshop and all that good stuff till I'm done this.

# 41 07-01-2010 , 02:11 AM
Cheers Stwert, I'm glad to hear you're making progress behind the scenes, no worries on the amount you post, just as long as you're still working on it!

Yeah, that part where he does the flip is intentional, I didn't want to slow it down any more as when I did try that it just looked wrong, and speeding up the bit before any more looked way too fast, so I was trying for a happy medium.

I also don't really want to spend too much more time on that one clip, (I have already re-done some of the textures to make them a little better, and will re-do the whole thing in the future) as I plan to change his clothing a little for each trick, and I've a ton more of UV mapping and texturing to do.

Only 3 seconds in, 17 more or so to go....lol!

# 42 10-01-2010 , 12:54 PM
Two tricks rendered now, about 8 seconds long so far so hopefully I'll get the full 20 or so done by the end of the month.

I'm looking forward to redoing them in the future to make them a bit smoother and tweak them a bit, I can see so much more I could do to them but spending any more time on each trick would probably leave me with about half the amount of footage we agreed to do! lol!

Here's a link to the progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQC2aNJa0B0

# 43 10-01-2010 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
Dango...
animation is looking good...user added image
The rename i shows you worked for the files i assume? or was that for a different scene?
g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 44 10-01-2010 , 10:27 PM
Thanks Zombie,

Yep, the file rename worked out alright, thanks for the info! Sorry I didn't get back to you again, it got kinda late and my eyes were almost catching fire from staring at my monitors...lol
That was for the first trick in the animation, the funny thing is I ended up adding 5 frames near the start, but cutting just under a hundred from the end as it just didn't fit! It originally had two tricks in the one sequence, but the second wasn't up to scratch.

Have started on trick number three just now, so hopefully that'll be added in a few days.

Last edited by Dango77; 10-01-2010 at 10:34 PM.
# 45 10-01-2010 , 10:41 PM
Subscriber
Dango, it is looking so very good!! I like it with the texture as it give the character some style!! ;-)

I do like your work!!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).