Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-06-2013 , 09:43 AM

Rendering always turns out black (almost)

First of all hi, I'm new here and fairly new to maya

I have finished my 3d biped model for a uni course. The only problem is it wont render. The only one that sort of works is the maya hardware render but that comes out really dark. Every time I press render all I get is a black screen. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is it my three point lighting? The lambert I put on the model? Do I have some setting configured wrong?

The thing is that this is a re-submission and I have to submit before monday. Last time I did a model it rendered fine so I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have looked everywhere on the internet for a solution but no where seems to give me a definitive answer. I have tried all of the suggestions that I could find on google but none of them seem to work. I am really pressed for time and really worried user added image

# 2 28-06-2013 , 11:54 AM
Lifetime Member
Can you share the attributes of the lights in your 3-point lighting setup (Intensity, Illum by default, Emit diffuse, emit spec, decay rate)

Also, what have you tried so far?

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 3 28-06-2013 , 01:24 PM
user added image

user added image

user added image

I have made sure the cameras say render able, I have unchecked auto-render clip frame for cameras, I have tried different shaders, I have tried no lighting, differen't lighting, different renders basically any suggestion I could find. I bet it is one setting buried somewhere in the program that I can't find. One box that needs to be ticked/unticked.

# 4 28-06-2013 , 01:52 PM
Lifetime Member
Do you experience this with any shader you assign to the objects?
Do you experience this with any lights you add?
Can you select one of the lights and then go Window->Relationship Editors -> Light Linking -> Light Centric and post a screen shot.
If possible, to speed things up, can you post the scene file?

# 5 28-06-2013 , 02:17 PM
Do I just upload the .mb file?

# 6 28-06-2013 , 02:55 PM
Lifetime Member
Just zip it up and attach

# 7 28-06-2013 , 03:16 PM
Here is my folder for maya with the model. I don't have a clue how to do uv mapping so I'm leaving that bit out!

Attached Files
File Type: zip 3D.zip (207.7 KB, 171 views)
# 8 28-06-2013 , 03:46 PM
Lifetime Member
Your scene is ok. You can increase the intensities of the area lights (E.g. 30 for the key light) or increase the size of the area lights.

# 9 28-06-2013 , 03:51 PM
Thank you so much! The only thing is now that because the lights are so bright, there are no shadows defining the shapes on the body, everything is lit up. I made the key light 30 and the other two 15.

# 10 28-06-2013 , 04:12 PM
Lifetime Member
Play around with light intensities until it reaches the levels you like. For shadows you will have to increase the number of shadow rays of the key light.