Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-07-2003 , 03:08 AM
Subscriber

partically particles with particle topping

hey there, looking for someone to engage me in a chat about particles and their render types. most specifically, i'm trying to figure out how to get a misty look, and i can't seem to figure out which way to get it going. any tips?

you can yahoo im me at sporktine or just message here.

# 2 30-07-2003 , 05:19 AM
Moved this here, as it is where this question belongsuser added image

I would first try many layers of hardware point particles, and/or a combination of same, AND a background of light grey software cloud particles with high transparencyuser added image

Are you looking for a specific shot like the mist from a squirt bottle?

Or?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 30-07-2003 , 05:58 AM
Subscriber
trying to get a "blowback" from water hitting a surface at high speed. it seems like i really should just play with particles a bit more to understand their various uses. to be honest i haven't really just sat down and looked at the various particle types and rendered different settings out, like i probably could.

the scene is a waterfall falling into a rocky crevasse, which is obscured by the mist from the falling water...

# 4 30-07-2003 , 03:01 PM
OH! in that case a simple transparent layer of a software cloud will add cover nicely, in combination with a little bit of light point hardware particles emitting from certain areas.

Yeah, I spent over a 3 month period trying to understand certain render-types, and emitter attributes, and particle shape attributes, as well as learning how to add dynamic attributes.....

It takes a bit of time, but just spend a weekend screwing-around with each one, mess with settings, try to see how high you can get your rate going before your machine starts to lag, and that is a good test to see how far you can push your machine as welluser added image

Good luck!

PS, sometimes you learn a LOT of secrets about things by accident by just messin arounduser added image

Keep the docs HANDY, as you'll NEED them to understand why things act the way they do in certain situations.

Have fun!!!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com