Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 28-05-2004 , 09:05 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Deryk

What was the problem you had with the stitching? Did you find out??

Jango

# 17 29-05-2004 , 02:50 AM
Subscriber
i haven't found out what the problem with rendering is. actually, when modeling the new torso, i continuously rebuilt the surfaces during modeling, which i think helped, since upon trying to attach a sample arm to it, the seams weren't visible in the window. BUT, they show up during in the final render, even after global stitching, which is a huge problem for me, since i can model the separate parts successfully, but can't seem to combine them.

also, a modeling question for everbody: when modeling a torso, do you model the shoulders as well, or model that with the arm and keep the torso shoulderless for later attachment?

a mistake i made initially was to model half the shoulder on the torso and half the shoulder on the arm (see first pic in this thread), which made it REALLY hard to smooth out the CVs to create a smooth shoulder later on when i attached the arm and torso.

ugh i need help with this patch modeling thing (first time attempting patch modelling user added image).

thanks everybody!

# 18 29-05-2004 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
well...I would do without modeling the shoulders....cause If you model a neutralposition (with the arms out like a 'T') the shoulder becomes a part of the arm too!...
but I can imagen that you model the shoulders aswell...

either way the thing you don't want to do is to model half the shoulder user added image just with or without user added image

nice going...!
goodluck further!

GreetZz RanSicK

# 19 29-05-2004 , 04:50 PM
Did you try increassing the tesselation? I mean, if there are not holes in the panels, but they show up in renders I would imagine it's the tesselation.
Also, I haven't enough experience to know what's really good and really bad when modeling bodies, but the few times that I modeled some, I had a whole patch just for the shoulder. (i.e. a patch for the front of the chest/abdomen, conected to a patch for the shoulder, conected on one side to the neck and on the other to the arm. But like I said, I might be doing things wrong.

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 20 01-06-2004 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber
finally patched the arm to the body... albeit with a few problems.. here are some renders..

notice the seams that are visible.. how do i remove these? they don't show up in the work panels. what does, however, show up, are clear boundaries between the patched parts as you'll see in the last of these pics.

c+c and help please user added image thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 01-06-2004 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
another render...

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 01-06-2004 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
second to the last pic... user added image (sorry there are so many. just wanna give you a good look user added image)

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 01-06-2004 , 01:29 PM
Subscriber
and a view of the work panel.. will those visible boundaries matter after texture mapping, or can texturing cover them up good enough?

also, as, you can see, the seams don't appear here. why is it that they appear during the final render? user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 01-06-2004 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
hmm yes that's really strange...
I don't know the answer but I just wanted to say that I admire your motivation to keep on going! user added image

btw I hope someone explain the problem b/c Im kinda qurious too! user added image

ltrr dude

# 25 02-06-2004 , 05:08 AM
Subscriber
no seams, finally. user added image

apparently all i had to do was up the tessellation values even more (highest quality), and increase the u and v divisions factor. i previously thought that simply increasing the quality of curvature tolerance would be enough.

and on with the shots.. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 02-06-2004 , 05:11 AM
Subscriber
and one more..

i'm gonna have to refine the curvature flow from the shoulder to the front shoulder muscle to the collarbone area somewhat, but i think that texturing should help mask the visible boundaries between patched parts quite a bit user added image

phew.. and now to work some more..

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 02-06-2004 , 07:06 AM
Subscriber
cooL! glad that you figured that one out! no go on and make the model complete user added image

# 28 05-06-2004 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
more updates user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 05-06-2004 , 04:25 PM
Looking good so far, nice work on the 'package'. I hate when people use my body as a reference without my consent! user added image

# 30 05-06-2004 , 06:43 PM
Subscriber
That is very nice work, keep at it user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX