Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 05-06-2004 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
hey deryk! I see you made some progress! looks nice! keep it goin' user added image

# 32 06-06-2004 , 03:08 PM
Subscriber
just fixed up some hitches in the pelvis area.

im now looking for a decent nurbs hand and foot tutorials. any suggestions on where to find any? all i see on the net are polygon hand and foot tuts and none for nurbs.

on a side note.. have any of you here seen the 6 min. opening sequence for onimusha 3(ps2 game)? i dunno about you guys but that stuff looked pretty amazing to me! a question.. how the heck did they get those people in there(based on actors jeno reno and takeshi kaneshiro) to look photoreal like that? did they actually model every nook and cranny of their face and skin or just leave that up to texturing? and was it just plain old modeling or do you think they had other hightech tricks up their sleeve? hmmm...

and back to this project, after i add hands and feet and a head, how do add clothes to this guy? i was trying to experiment with what i have but i'm totally clueless. for my sake i'm planning on leaving the torso bare but have one of those samurai skirt type things for pants. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 06-06-2004 , 05:41 PM
Subscriber
don't they do a 3d scan of the face ?

# 34 07-06-2004 , 02:08 AM
Subscriber
not sure about that. they didn't mention it in the behind the scenes video. but how tedious would achieving that level of realism be in manual modeling?

btw, ransick.. any ideas on how to put clothes on this guy? user added image

# 35 07-06-2004 , 11:18 AM
Subscriber
well It's all possible but I know they have deadlines to and than it would be less timeconsuming and less spending money if they did a 3d scan I guess but I don't no ..user added image

well..as for the clothes... ..I like the musclelinbody ...with all the detail of the muscles but it really depends what you want to do with it... for example if you want to make a romanwarrior or something like that than you can thing only of a small peace of blanket with a belt on...or you could do even a superhero like superman or something...user added image you have the body atleast done user added image

well whatever you do ...don't giv' him to much clothes...let him show his muscles user added image

# 36 07-06-2004 , 02:42 PM
Subscriber
yeah i was thinking of that. hmmm for my plan of putting on a samurai-type skirt thing on him, should i model it or is it possible to use the cloth functions of maya? i'm not sure how cloth works, but i'm willing to try anything that will work well. since i'm planning to animate this guy later on, i'm looking for a method that can at least make easier the process of animating the flow of the fabric and all user added image

any tips on how to make the skirt/pants thing? to manually model or to not manually model? user added image

# 37 13-06-2004 , 03:04 AM
Subscriber
ugh finally got back to this after working for several days on my thesis...

modeled a hand using the hand tutorial on this site, but now the problem is, i have absolutely no idea how to attach this to my NURBS body. i tried converting my SubD hand to NURBS but it has all kinds of irregularly placed isoparms and the hand is segmented, meaning that the whole hand is no longer one surface, but separated into different patches.

any ideas how to do this? here's a screenshot of what i have so far:

Attached Thumbnails