Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 25-08-2004 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber

How do you overcome getting burned out?

I have found that working intensely in a project for a long time, that I get burned out and have to stop (or rush the project and not do as well) I hate when this happens… especially when we have dead lines to meet. So, I was just wonder what do you do when you start feeling this way?

# 2 25-08-2004 , 03:25 PM
You dont overcome burnout, with experience you learn to pospone it until you end the project you have on your hands or to evade project oriented work...
you may find that you can sleep up to 26hrs straight after a deadline breaktrough party...

# 3 25-08-2004 , 03:30 PM
Subscriber
I know your feeling way too well! I am the kind of person who invest himself in what he is doing until I am tired and I switch back to an old project. I move from one to the other each time I am bored, would that be java programming, making movie in final cut express, drawing, maya, etc...

The solution I have found to prevent this 'problem' is to never do too much. For exemple, if I am working on a model and its about 11hPM, I have the choice of either going to sleep or to keep working on it for an hour. As much as my mind wants me to keep working on it, I dont. This need a lot of willpower (especialy if the adiction is a game!) but its the best way to never get burned because you always keep your interest.

Also, you can show your work to others to get some cheers and motivation. Nothing better than the interest of others to boost yours in your project!

Good luck!

# 4 25-08-2004 , 04:28 PM
Subscriber
What I find that works for me is loud music, pizza and pleanty of red bull... but thats just me user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 5 25-08-2004 , 04:41 PM
I pace myself when I work. I know exactly what my body and brain can handle at any one time, so I budget my time accordingly. I also try to take frequent breaks during a work session. I usually get up and walk around every hour or so, mostly to stretch, get a breath of fresh air, and clear my head. Naturaly, there are times when I just lose myself completely in my work, but having my girlfriend around reminds me that I do need to take breaks on a regular basis.

Switching gears is another good way to deal with or overcome burnout. Work on another project, read a book, go watch a movie, go out and spend time with friends, whatever. If you're in the middle of a project with a tight deadline, it is still important that you step away from the computer for half a day or even a whole day and do something that takes your mind off of the project. When you come back to work, you'll be refreshed and ready to go again.

You get better at pacing yourself as you gain more experience. You need to really pay attention to how you work so that you can adjust your work pace to suit the schedule (or vice versa) without hitting burnout so often.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 25-08-2004 , 04:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah, I try to take it easy on weekends to avoid burning out.

# 7 25-08-2004 , 08:15 PM
I get burned out easily because i tend not to pace myself. And then i go to one serious project for about a month. then about 11 mini- 2-6 hour projects before i find another long one...

But i usually just work a 50-60 hour week at work and im good again. Working around machines all the time is good inspiration.

# 8 25-08-2004 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
another thing I do is set "mini goals" like have a date I want the model done, a date when I want the texture done, etc. It makes the entire project seem smaller when you break it into pieces sometimes.

# 9 25-08-2004 , 09:59 PM
What I do is go out side jump around a bit and scream while throwing the computer around by the cords...

For the most part I make sure I take breaks, focus on a few different projects at a time so im not always on one thing which sometimes get a bit monotonous. Everyone goes through it i had a bout last week.

The biggest thing is to make sure you have a life outside the computer. Like sports or a hobby.

I try and spend as much time with my wife going out doing things like movies. Helps clear the mind and she actully helps me focus on new ideas when im on brain drain.

Main thing is to get your mind off the project for a bit and come back to it with fresh eyes.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 10 28-08-2004 , 01:37 PM
Breaks are very important but as well have alot of inspirational and motivational objects around your work area so you don't have to stare at the same thing for hours on end...

like toys or posters, work you admire, concept drawings and reminders of your dreams and goals for the project or for long term. Even turning off the light will stir some imagination.

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there...with open arms, and open eyes" - Incubus