Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-07-2005 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber

Gecko

hi, currently modeling a crested gecko;

user added image

user added image

i still need to model the main spikes which run across the rim of his head and eye and down his back,also make his toes a little wider, (ive made the legs streatched so i can rig and bend them later) but im not too sure about how to do the millions of bumps which make up the geckos skin you can see better on the below picture,

user added image

any ideas wud be apreciated, i think i might have to just draw millions of circles ona piece of paper and scan it in and use that as a bump map.

Matt

# 2 08-07-2005 , 09:15 PM
Hey thats some nice modeling!

Could we see a wire?

Keep up the good workuser added image

# 3 08-07-2005 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
user added image

none smoothed mesh, 3200 polys, adding spikes to eyes and back now then thats the modeling done, then im gona do the bumps, which is gone be hard to do user added image

# 4 08-07-2005 , 09:22 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude nice model

I think if you need to lose some edges around the eyes as its very dense there before you smooth, you only need cut in a bout 3 - 4 rows and the smooth will take care of the rest. As for the bumps on the head you could use some adjusted paintfx instead of modelling

Keep up the good work otherwise

_J

# 5 08-07-2005 , 09:26 PM
Jango right about the area around the eyes.

Look good.

# 6 08-07-2005 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber
yeh, :p i have a reason for that lol, when i started modeling the eye the yesterday i saved it and cudnt undo the smooth, for some reason the setting was locked in the (ctrl+a) pannel, so i just left it to sort out later :p hehe, i removed 4 loops.

# 7 08-07-2005 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber
user added image

only 4 faces per spike (un smoothed), aint finished yet btw.

# 8 10-07-2005 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
spikes update

user added image

# 9 11-07-2005 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber
oooh, i like it!
the feet look a little skinny and pointed...maybe fatten them out a bit?

as for the bumps...maybe you could simulate it with a black and white noise bump? or use that one brush in photoshop that make s alot of tiny dots (cant remember name of it) you might also be able to take a part of your reference and modify that to be your bump map

Last edited by errethakbe; 11-07-2005 at 08:30 PM.
# 10 11-07-2005 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber
i dont think a single dot would work, ill try it tho, anything better than printing out the uv map, then goin over it with a pencil drawing amilllion circles then scanning it back in lol, if only i had a graphics tablet

# 11 05-08-2005 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
right, after leaving this model for a while now ive decided to get it finished, just spent a while doing the uv map for it.

the uv map

maybe one of u guys can help me on a problem, i need to uv map the spikes... ive tried automatic but i seriously cant be botherd to sew milions of triangles together..... maybe there is some way to make these spikes vary in colour? maybe a ramp, i wanted the spikes so that when they come out of the body they are dark then to the tip they are slightly lighter, and each spike should be a different shade. maybe i could make a load of materials with ramps and assign them randomly to different spikes (but that wud be like 10 materials just for the spikes :/ i think im blabering a load of crap now so im gona shut up).

# 12 05-08-2005 , 04:10 PM
Subscriber
i luv it man, clean modeling, awesome

2 THUMBS UP

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com