Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 16-10-2006 , 05:50 PM

Need your input...

Hi everyone.. just wanted to see what everyone would like to see for a real life realistic animal modeling tut. I was thinking something very challenging both modeling and texturing wise like a rhino, iguana or deep sea fish

List some other cool animals to help me pick=).

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 16-10-2006 , 06:14 PM
Subscriber
Personally I think a rhino or the like would be very similar to the Oliphant we already have here. I would like to see something unusual myself, something like a Komodo Dragon.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 3 17-10-2006 , 01:26 AM
Acid44
id say something like an angler fish or a halibut just for the odd shapes and the slimey effect

# 4 17-10-2006 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
You asked for it Kurt....

Duckbill platypus gets my vote - it's got the lot: bill, tail, webbed paws, hair (textured wet & dry) !!! Like j5ive says - rhino's are old hat.

Keith

# 5 17-10-2006 , 05:52 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by keef
You asked for it Kurt....

Duckbill platypus gets my vote - it's got the lot: bill, tail, webbed paws, hair (textured wet & dry) !!! Like j5ive says - rhino's are old hat.

Keith

The Platypus has an incredibly boring body shape, and short stubby legs. It would be like modelling a penguin... the most boring exercise ever.

I say go for something with a lot of detail in it both in textures and in the body itself.

I have an affinity with cats, so would like to see one of those, but again, the only really seriously complex part would be the cryptic internals of the ear.

You could consider insects. If you were going to go all out and make it hyper real, then all the bits of fine hair and chitin and the compound eyes etc could be challenging.

# 6 17-10-2006 , 06:03 AM
Subscriber
I think a cat would be very similar to the yeti tutorial, maybe a fully rigged scorpian though it may have been done.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 7 17-10-2006 , 06:08 AM
What about a tiger or a Zebra, something with some colour variation and different textures (nose, fur, whiskers) etc, this might make it an "Maya Unlimited" tutorial though, if you go down the route of fur and hair for dynamics etc.

Just a thought

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 17-10-2006 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
i was hoping a realism tutorial would come out some time in simplymaya. if you want something challenging then i would think something to do with fur would do it. such as these ppl here already stated. a tiger might be cool. like gster just said. lots of proportion and deformation to take care of.
just a question kurt. whats the average time it would take for you do make a entire tutorial project?. it also depends on what kind of progect it is but lets just say.. how long did it take for you do do the pirate ship? 2 weeks?

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 9 17-10-2006 , 09:54 AM
Most time it takes between 2 3 weeks depending on the model and detail as well as textures.. Hard surface always takes me longer then organic due to having to keep everything claen and a flat.

Usally 1 week building the model next week recording it. again depends on the model and textures.

Lion and trigers would be cool but other then the face not much detail.. I look into it it.. my puter can handel fur pretty well it only starts to flake when the fur get supper dence...

I was thinking of a sea horse maybe.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 10 17-10-2006 , 04:06 PM
Subscriber
Giraffe it has an interesting body shape has fur and is unique. Or maybe a sort of ape, like a Gorilla or Orang-Utan. Hippos are interesting as well, all the fat folds, and shinyness of their skin.
But I'd definately be for something that lives on the land, since there is the sea creature tutorial already.

# 11 17-10-2006 , 05:20 PM
maybe a human ancestor...

# 12 17-10-2006 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber

Do what you like, like what you do.

Last edited by daffas; 17-10-2006 at 08:31 PM.
# 13 19-10-2006 , 11:52 PM
perhaps a bat? I also agree with whoever said a chamleon. I used to have a jacksons chamleon, pretty interesting visualy.

# 14 20-10-2006 , 08:21 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Now to pose this question...will you be using Zbrush as well?

If so then, some sort of Lizard, Komodo, Chameleon. What about a turtle? now that would be cool

Jay

# 15 20-10-2006 , 10:22 AM
I'll look into z brush as well...