Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 07-12-2006 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber
you have a les paul? v.nice user added image

im not sure about the neck now maybe i was a little tired as on the update renders it seems ok

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 47 07-12-2006 , 03:54 PM
Unfortunatly not, I wish, Ive got a Fender Mex strat, and a cheapo Les Paul Copy thats from the 70's.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 48 07-12-2006 , 04:06 PM
Still some areas aht I need to address, the pickup surrounds for one, there far to sharp and need some screw holes in them.

I keep doing quick renders just to see if it looks good from all angles as I want to do a animated fly thorugh of the scene when its completed for a bit of portfolio stuff.

Heres another. Any Comments or crits would be great.

Attached Thumbnails

# 49 07-12-2006 , 04:16 PM
Wow, that finish on the body is gorgeous! Looking awesome!

The only crit I can offer may or may not be useful, as I am no guitar expert. But, 2 things I noticed were the strings seem like they start out just a tad bit thick. Next, the words 'RHYTHM' and 'TREBLE' seem a bit large, too. But, having never seen one of these guitars irl, I can only offer these crits as my opinion, not based on fact. If that's how they look on the real thing, then disregard my crits.

user added image

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 50 07-12-2006 , 08:46 PM
Subscriber
(5 mins to load this damm reply page)

ne way on topic

the body is looking nice and the edges look nice!

i agree with u on the pickup surrounds but also this
either the pickups r too low down in them or the surrounding is too high
i dont have a les paul and only played one once before so i am juding this by eye and from my guitar

erictacti - the switch is correct lookhere

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 51 07-12-2006 , 09:18 PM
according to that picture the text are way too bold actually...

# 52 08-12-2006 , 07:15 AM
Maybe a little, ill tone it down a little

heres the ref that I used

Attached Images

# 53 08-12-2006 , 09:41 PM
Subscriber
my computer is completely f....d and this is s quick drop in and drop out, my computer died user added image so nothing,have to but a new one hence no crits till now.)

great fnish, the render is excellant as expected from you. the last time i ownd one of these was the 70s. deluxe model.

dont know whether that is where thereferance came from and i assume this is a 'les paul' standard.

if so, i dont remember the knobs looking like that. (this is from memory, haven't looked at you referance, i'm to scared to follow ANY link these days, too much in the news here about bad web pages and people scamming on the net, seems big business, its easier to get into the house through a computer than the window, just open a 'window' and let them in)

anyway, from memory, the knobs were larger where they protude from the centre (in diameter). the actual daimeter of their base looks near perfect.

the edges of the pickups were not so sharp but rather nicely rounded, but it wouldn't suprise me if construction methods these days (probably Korea??) (mass production) produced this harsh edge.

the pickups them selves were closer to the strings as this has`direct relationship to the sound, and from that distance one would lose a lot of tone.

nice work on the neck, incredibly impressive, looking more like a gibson es 175 than a les paul though, didnt know the les paul had that nice rounded finish where it joins the body unless this is a new model les paul i have never seen (i haven't looked for years),

take it easy and life will be easy
# 54 08-12-2006 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber
the screws that adjust the bridge were more pronounced making them easier to adjust,rahter than a near same diameter as the bridge itself

maybe throw a ittle light, or pull it out of the pickup area so we can see the double pole pickups rather than a black mass. this would show it off more, an i'm not so sure about the six silver (forget their name) screws on the pickups, from memeory they were adjustable and have a slit for the scew driver so one can tune the pickup at a finer level after tuning the hight of the pickup in general.

last thing, yes, the 'treble' and 'rythme' written on the selection swtich looks to new, as does the overall guitar

in those immortal words of Mike's; the dirtier it looks the more real it looks, this one looks like it has never been touched.., by anything!

this quality of work is what one expects from you, its incredible user added image

Last edited by mirek03; 08-12-2006 at 09:52 PM.
# 55 09-12-2006 , 12:24 PM
wow ... the last render was excellent ... awesome work user added image

# 56 10-12-2006 , 12:49 AM
Cheers Guys, I'm gonna give it a go of messing it up a bit, maybe some dust on things and a few scratches on the varnish of the body, just need to figure out how to go about it LOL!

Mirek, i'm going to round off the pickup edges then add the screw holes, and i'll lift them up a bit and give them the little angle towards the treble. As well as re modeling some screws etc.

Then I need to gather some good amp references, I really want a simple marshall half stack, shouldent be too hard to model etc. (kiss of death there!)

Cheers Gyus, if anyone points out any other things then give me a shout, Should have some updates soon.

# 57 10-12-2006 , 07:09 AM
are you model an amp to go with the guitar?

# 58 11-12-2006 , 07:04 PM
Yep, will be doing.

Ive got a line 6, but I want to have a "Classic Rock" type of scene so I think a Marshall would be the way to go.

# 59 13-12-2006 , 08:28 AM
Subscriber
even though he used a strat, you want get down dirty marshell, you might think Hendrix, Montery Pop festival, hey you might even set it alight, he used lighter fluid and the fender company couldn't decide to sue him or not, so the legend goes.

user added image

# 60 13-12-2006 , 08:40 AM
Subscriber
and do something about that action, no self respecting guitar player could play that, unless it was for slide user added image

user added image