Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-12-2002 , 08:05 PM

Seamless texturing...

Hi ho,

I've been working on the UVs and textures of my poly reindeer model. I've made pretty descent UVs for it (pretty even resolution wise and no bad stretching) but the UVs have some cuts that will show up as seams when texturing. I've managed to place the cuts in to places that won't be seen so easily but it still bugs me. Is there any 3d paint tool that can paint textures over the UV cuts seamlessly? I've tried with the Maya's built in 3d texture tool and with Deep Paint 3D demo but no workie...

Or maybe i've just got something totally wrong here user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 2 12-12-2002 , 10:54 PM
I attached these images just to clarify what I'm talking about:

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 3 12-12-2002 , 10:55 PM
And the other one which shows the problem:

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 4 13-12-2002 , 01:04 AM
You're going to get seams regardless of which program/tool you use. It's all a matter of where you place those seams and how well you paint in those areas. With Deep Paint, it's a little easier to cover up and paint around seams, but they are still present. Just think about it: you're taking a 2D image and wrapping it around a 3D mesh like wrapping paper. There's going to be seams no matter what you do.

I think that what you have right now is probably the best solution. I'll see if I can find a good unwrap in my library to show...

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 13-12-2002 , 08:32 AM
danny: Thanks...I was somewhat prepared for this kind of answer. I was just hoping there was something I could use to avoid the problem automagically user added image

After all it shouldn't be too hard to compute a brush going over a cut and blend or wrap around or something the texture over the seam... i think user added image

I guess I have to do it manually then...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB