Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 06-03-2007 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber

Low Poly Rig video tutorial

Hi Kurt,

I watched your video tutorial for the low poly rig and I got alot out of it. I have rigged my own character, but the difference is that the jacket and gloves on my character are in one piece rather than seperate arms and torso. Most of the deformations work fine, although I am getting some odd spikes and deformations in unrelated areas. Often when I paint waits on one joint, and return to it later the have changes reverted to their original states. I notice that each verticy must have an overall weight of one between two joints.

Do I have incorrect settings, either on the bind or when painting weights?
Do I need to break up the upperbody into arms and torso?

Thanks for looking at this
Any advice would be much appreciated

Knd regards
Alex Brown

# 2 06-03-2007 , 03:58 AM
Senior Software Developer
It sounds to me like your painted weights are not set correctly.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 27-03-2007 , 03:15 PM
Hey Red,

I'm new as well, and have recently followed Kurt's awesome videos.

The spikes might be coming from verts being weighted by hip/leg joints. Check in the component window to see what is affecting the offending vert.

As to the painting weights issue. I learned that when painting weights that when you use replace option the joints will automatically move to another joint. I believe each vert requires some amount of control (and most total 100% by all affecting joints), so by replacing control from one joint, you'll be automatically giving it to another joint. What I do is instead of using replace, I use Add.

Hope that helps. I'm learning all this myself.

# 4 28-03-2007 , 06:10 AM
Subscriber

low poly rig

Thanks very much for your replies to my dilema. It seems to be making more sense now.

Cheers
Alex