Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-03-2009 , 08:07 PM

first room model/render

Modeled and textured and lit my room using maya. Comments, good or bad will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by kjleroy; 24-03-2009 at 08:25 PM.
# 2 24-03-2009 , 08:18 PM
The room looks nice, but you need to resize the image and repost it so everyone doesn't have to scroll around the screen, it will actually look better at a smaller size too.

# 3 24-03-2009 , 08:26 PM
thanks. Done user added image

# 4 24-03-2009 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
it looks quite... heavenly? lots of light i mean

it looks really cool, good job on the textures

but.. one thing...
how do you open your drawers?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 24-03-2009 , 08:43 PM
I definitely need more work on lighting, I really dont have any clue what I'm doing with it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? How would you go about lighting this room?

# 6 24-03-2009 , 09:11 PM
The Nurb Herd
I think its good for a first model, you need to work on your rendering and the textures under the table on the right.

# 7 24-03-2009 , 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
My crits would have to be the grain in the shadows under the pictures, the overexposed areas, like the left wall for example, the texture on the desk and its lighting interaction is a little iffy and the casing on the Mac is really really bright, the bed spread is a bit faceted and I can't help but feel the proportions are a bit off, the doorway seems kind of low, I dunno, I'm just getting that feeling. The textures on the dark wood look good, It came out well with this being your first room model/render. Stay on it.

- Genny
# 8 25-03-2009 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
lot better than my first model. I think you should learn about light linking. I agree with what hammer and Gect said about the texturing it looks like you have some stretching. I would lower the diffuse on the mac monitor. And it looks like you are using depth shadows. If you are you are going to have to raise them but warning it will also raise your render time. For the bed covers your might want to put a particle on it gravity to be precise to give it that cloth feel. There are some tuts on line that show you how. But this is very good for a first render.One last thing I think your light intensity is way to high, thats why your getting that hot spot on the wall.