Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-07-2003 , 08:44 AM

Sandstorm

Hi,

I want to create a scene like in "the mummy". First you see only sand. Then wind blows the sand away, and discovers a 3d text. How can I make this? I´m not very familiar with Maya yet

thanks in advance
danibert

# 2 25-07-2003 , 11:49 AM
Subscriber
your going to want to create an emiiter set the particle type to cloud and play with the rate and lifespan

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 3 25-07-2003 , 02:36 PM
do you know a tutorial for something like that?

# 4 25-07-2003 , 02:42 PM
NOTE, just FYI, I moved this thread to Dynamics and Effects for all to see, as it belongs here in this forumuser added image

Ok, this is one of my favorite shots in the mummy series, apart from anything with the Scarab beetles!

There are 2 main ways you can make this happen,

1. (quick and dirty & not very realistic)
Make your text, and use it as a goal for LOTS of particles and/or particle objects, then render out that simulation, and in your post app, just reverse the frames to give you the particle animation you need.

2. (the way I would do it, i.e the long way)

a. Model, and texture your text objects till you are happy with the look.
-NOTE: For the sake of speeding up calculations, it might make sense to convert your text to polys once you are happy with the look of them, combine, and then texture it all as a whole...
..personal preference I guessuser added image

b. For fun, add a few bits of softbody strips (nurbs) to the text for that "mummy" feel.
-Remember to tweak/paint the weightmap so they will "blow" along with your particles via any dynamic fields you will add to the shot.

c. Now, hide everything BUT your text object(s).

d. Make it a surface emitter with LOTS of particles, OR make full copies of the emitters.

e. Adjust the attenuation so that the particles are born, and appear to "stick to where they were born on your text object(s).

f. Once your text objects are covered with your particles to your liking, hit stop, and make that frame for your particles "Initial State".
(see docs for usage on setting Initial State for Selected)

g. Add fields, and animate/tweak to tasteuser added image

TIPS:
Obviously, use many particle objects with varying colors and densities to achive clumps and some extra depth.
Plus, using more particle objects, allows you to render in passes, giving you ultimate control over look and timing.

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 01-08-2003 , 06:35 PM
Yeah that works (the second way). Thanks a lot ;-))

# 6 01-08-2003 , 10:52 PM
Glad to hear it!

Any chance of a clip upload so we can see your progress?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com