Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-04-2005 , 02:51 PM

creating a starfield

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this subject...
So,,, what are some ways of creating a star field for a space scene? I think I once read something about using particles but I can't recall any details. I know that in 3DMAX there is a built in starfield generator but I don't think that Maya has that. Does anyone have any experience with starfields?

# 2 28-04-2005 , 04:03 PM
create an omni emitter colour the particles bright white, add a turbulence field for some variation, play for a while, render in the hardware render buffer with a black background.

That's a basic starfield. won't be very interesting but if you want to make it more complex you can look at applying pictures of galaxies etc onto planes then placing them around the scene. Or you can simulate them with particles/fluids. experiment! user added image

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 05-05-2005 , 01:41 PM
Do a search on "stars" and you'll find many methods. Here's one that features a few techniques:

Starfield Techniques

(The image samples aren't in the thread anymore as it's an old post and there was a big image cleanup way back when but all the methods mentioned in the thread work well).

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."