Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-12-2006 , 04:32 PM

rigging instanced geometry

I've modelled one side of a character, and instanced many parts with a -1 scale to form the other side.

I'm running into a problem now though, when rigging the model. When I bind the original side of the body to some joints, all the instances on the other side of the body get bound as well.

Is there a way to "freeze" the instances some how and turn them into separate geometries?

There are alot of pieces that were instanced, so I don't want to have to delete all of the instances and redo them as duplicates if I can avoid it...

# 2 03-12-2006 , 08:50 AM

Re: rigging instanced geometry

Originally posted by indigox3
I'm running into a problem now though, when rigging the model. When I bind the original side of the body to some joints, all the instances on the other side of the body get bound as well.

There are alot of pieces that were instanced, so I don't want to have to delete all of the instances and redo them as duplicates if I can avoid it...

I believe you may have answered your own question there...

If you used the "instance" option when duplicating something, whatever you do to one half of a model WILL be done to the other side.

Using instancing is handy if you're modeling a character, per se, and while building half you want to see what the whole thing will look like as a whole, while you model one half, the other one will update with the same changes.

If you DO NOT want your other side acting like your original, go to

Edit -> Duplicate (Options Box)

and make sure the "Geometry Type" is set to "Copy" and NOT "Instance."

As for your case, I'm not certain if you can remove the instancing on instanced objects, and make them...well...not instances :headbang:

Last edited by severinianthony; 04-12-2006 at 06:34 AM.
# 3 03-12-2006 , 09:57 AM

Re: Re: rigging instanced geometry

Originally posted by severinianthony

As for your case, I'm not certain if you can remove the instancing on instanced objects, and make them...well...not instances :headbang:

Yeah, I couldn't find any options to do this, so I ended up writing a script to find the instances, delete them, duplicate the original, and rescale by -1......what a pain :angery: