Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-04-2010 , 05:50 PM
The thin red line

Realistic head model?

Hi Guys
I am going to see if I can make a realistic head model, most of the model was made in maya then UVed then exported to zbrush. Before any one says any thing the refferance has a big nose....................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 06-04-2010 , 09:43 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Hey dave,

Nice start. There are a few proportional issues, nothing too major. The size of your models cranium is too small. It should be in equal mass to frontal mass (face). This is just a general proportional reference, but it helps in nailing the general shape.

Your ears also look a bit too high on the head, the top of the ears should be level with the top of the eyes.

The general proportions of the face are as follows:

With a male head (frontal view). The eyes generally sit about half way down the face. Sometimes higher depending on the individual, especially with males.
The bottom of the nose sits half way between the eyes and the bottom of the chin. The mouth lies 1/3 of the way down between the nose and the bottom of the chin. The head is five eyes wide. Generally you should be able to fit one eyes in between your models eyes, and one on the outside of them. There are other 'rules' but those are the most important ones.

It looks like you've nailed a lot of this, but it helps to memorize it. And also to compare it with your reference, to see where it differs, as, no doubt, that will be a key feature that needs to be done right.

Your model looks like it's lacking a bit of form, in the jaw, and in some places on the face (Chin, cheeks, etc). I would stick to a lower sub-div level until you have some more of the forms refined. But generally it's a nice sculpt.

I would also post your reference, as it will make it easier for people to crit your model.

Really nice work Dave!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 06-04-2010 , 09:48 PM
Hi Dave,

I would get some eyes in there as well as getting rid of the rest of the UI, image space at premiums etc.

I always check the props, without ref every comment will be different!

Get Z 3.5 R2 as far as I know (and thats waiting for mails from out tech dept!) Might as well learn the new tools.

So far its looking good, maybe try a different material to evaluate, the red mats in Z puts me off a bit wheny ou get to detail I ususaly go for a std mat or a skin type mat.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 07-04-2010 , 07:27 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I would pull it around further at a lower res, then build up increasing the detail slowly. It will end up lumpy and bumpy and you'll end up increasing your work load unessecarily

Jay

# 5 07-04-2010 , 11:54 AM
The thin red line
Thanks Mayaniac
Will try to remember those proportions, are they from book or are these just things you have picked up as you have learned. Lost the work in zbrush due to my kids but like I said most of the model was done in maya witch I did save. Just got a tablet so will learn using that.
Hi gster123
I hope to get a new rig soon am leaving that update till then as this system is getting a bit cranky
Hi Jay
I always drop down levels to make large adjustments but do understand what you are saying.

will include refferance.........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 07-04-2010 , 08:02 PM
The thin red line
I think I have fixed some of the error Mayaniac

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 08-04-2010 , 03:36 PM
Nice, you're getting there. The general likeness is off. You might want to work on that a bit, but the model itself is improving.

You should try to gather more reference of the person you're modeling. Shots from different angles. Not too many, as they will just get confusing, and you'll never match the forms in every picture, as the person's expression will change, the lighting of the image, the age of said person may change, along with other things. But generally you want about 3 or 4 images to work from. Try to match their key forms and how they fit together. Then work up to the unique details.

You should have likeness at one or two (at the most) subdivisions. This will let you know you have the key forms down, after that, it's just refinement and details.

Nice work!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 8 08-04-2010 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
Dave, I like the work that you are doing. It certainly seems very good to me. It really fascinates me in the way you guys can do such stuff. I am anxious to see the progress!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 9 08-04-2010 , 05:24 PM
The Nurb Herd
i agree that the form is off right now. It would be cool if you could post more than a 3 quarter pose; screenshot some orthographic shots too. user added image

# 10 08-04-2010 , 05:54 PM
The thin red line
Thanks Mayaniac, Tom
Ive not done much at all today getting used to using a tablet how the hell did I get any thing done with out one in zbrush

As requested hammer.horror

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 08-04-2010 at 05:57 PM.
# 11 08-04-2010 , 05:55 PM
The thin red line
Another

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 08-04-2010 , 08:52 PM
Hey Dave, I did a quick paint-over for some general forms that you need to nail.

Hope you can make sense of it.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 13 08-04-2010 , 08:53 PM
oops.. I think the image itself might help.

Attached Images

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 14 08-04-2010 , 10:05 PM
The thin red line
Thanks Mayaniac
I must admit I do not know how the eye are so out, I am going to have to look at how I am getting it so out of sink with the photo..............thanks again I will only learn if some one points these error out to me............dave

# 15 08-04-2010 , 10:57 PM
Yeah, the eyes can be a pain.

Here's a rough visual to what I was saying earlier about proportions. I also think it might help you understand why his (reference image) eyes are a lot smaller than you had sculpted them.

Again, I hope you can make sense of it, and that it helps.

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 08-04-2010 at 11:03 PM.