Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-03-2004 , 03:42 AM

March / April - flib - Noob

Decided to give this months challenge a go. Entering at "noob" level, because that's what I am when it comes to Maya. The scene i'm making isn't a real place, still working on what the environment around the structures will be .. got a few ideas for that. Oh i've also added a little man in there just give to a better idea of the scale of the buildings. Anyway this is what I have so far, only really been working on the shapes so theres no smaller details added yet.

https://www.flib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/maya/1b.jpg

(full 1024x768 image here)

Sorry it's kinda dark .. will make it brighter for future shots. Really doing this challenge so I can hopefully gain experience from this from the way's i'll be making the models. More to come later!

# 2 03-03-2004 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber

Re: March / April - flib - Noob

Originally posted by flib
Oh i've also added a little man in there just give to a better idea of the scale of the buildings.

I'm finding myself playing Where's Waldo with your image... where is that little dude???

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 3 03-03-2004 , 08:15 AM
Subscriber
ah ok... found him in the high res pic all tucked away in that wide open space! I must say that is a very big building... I'm looking forward to seeing where this is headed.

# 4 03-03-2004 , 09:04 AM
Heh, the smaller image got rid of the little guy (blurred him out) becaused of the reduction in quality from a bitmap user added image

# 5 03-03-2004 , 09:20 AM
OK just pasing by and whanted too say too yuo that your icture is way dark flib, go to photoshop CS and play with Levels or lights &shadows, See ya guys

# 6 03-03-2004 , 01:15 PM

go to photoshop CS and play with Levels or lights &shadows

No, light it properly to begin with user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 03-03-2004 , 04:08 PM
Rebuilt the house today and added some finer detail to the building, also fixed the lightning (took me hours :/) and heres what it looks like so far (hardly any change, building is different in proportion and like i say, some detail has been added .. but lightings fixed .. yay \o/)

https://www.flib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/maya/2.jpg

# 8 03-03-2004 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by flib
...also fixed the lightning (took me hours :/)

Here's a quick route to easy renders of your models that also look good. It takes about 5 minutes to set up...

(1) Delete all the lights from your scene
(2) In Render Globals, open the Common tab and switch off "Use Default Lights"
(3) Also in the Render Globals, switch to Mental Ray and - in the MR tab - turn the quality to PreviewFinalGather.
(4) Open up the Final Gather section in Render Globals and turn the number of rays down to 350
(5) In the viewport, click View->Camera Attribute Editor...
(6) In the Camera Attribute Editor open up the Environment section and change the color to say a 30% grey.

Now render that.

If your PC is fast, you can ramp up the number of FG rays but you'll find that your render times increase dramatically.

Also, you can include a low power directional light with shadows switched on to give nices shadow off your model.

Hope that helps.

# 9 03-03-2004 , 05:25 PM
looking good so far flib. i like the design of your main temple.

i just tried richs' suggestion on the lighting and it works real good. easy to setup.

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 10 03-03-2004 , 05:46 PM
Thanks orgeeizm user added image

Thanks rich aswell, i'll have to give that lighting setup a go and see if it helps any better than using GI Joe.

# 11 03-03-2004 , 11:54 PM
yup puyre morning he can doo that too user added image but thet is too easy user added image just joking, jea make that lightning beather, btw what hapend with your defalt lightning???

# 12 04-03-2004 , 12:04 AM
orgeeizm i realy like your avatar is that your model, can you give it too me in some high resolution (if thats your model), THX in advance

# 13 04-03-2004 , 01:05 AM

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>

Last edited by orgeeizm; 04-03-2004 at 03:11 AM.
# 14 04-03-2004 , 09:37 AM
Like it realy nice, you was not on forum for some time now, jestourday a sow jor posts on everi subject that i was wisiting, whats your story?

# 15 06-03-2004 , 12:29 AM

Originally posted by rich
Here's a quick route to easy renders of your models that also look good. It takes about 5 minutes to set up...

(1) Delete all the lights from your scene
(2) In Render Globals, open the Common tab and switch off "Use Default Lights"
(3) Also in the Render Globals, switch to Mental Ray and - in the MR tab - turn the quality to PreviewFinalGather.
(4) Open up the Final Gather section in Render Globals and turn the number of rays down to 350
(5) In the viewport, click View->Camera Attribute Editor...
(6) In the Camera Attribute Editor open up the Environment section and change the color to say a 30% grey.

Now render that.

If your PC is fast, you can ramp up the number of FG rays but you'll find that your render times increase dramatically.

Also, you can include a low power directional light with shadows switched on to give nices shadow off your model.

Hope that helps.

No that did not help at all, something is not corect in your lines. can you make one check what you have write !!!!