Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 31-08-2004 , 05:41 AM

MeshSmooth : Maya vs 3D Studio Max

Hey

I just wanted to know. If you have have modelled in 3dsmax, you know that you can apply MeshSmooth and then just click on the light bulb to take it off. That way you can easily swap between the two. Is there a way to do this in Maya?

Thanks

To not take a risk is a risk in itself
# 2 31-08-2004 , 06:49 AM
Subscriber
I use click the smooth button to smooth then do ctrl+z to undo as needed. That's simple enough isn't it?

# 3 31-08-2004 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber
you can always leave the smooth node in also. and ajust the subdivition level in the attribute editor.

# 4 01-09-2004 , 04:01 AM
no there's no really quick way to go back and forth besides the undo key. But one of the greater things of maya is that you can convert back and forth between subDs and ploys very easily.

# 5 01-09-2004 , 04:11 AM
The Maya Mountain
taking the smooth's divisions to 0 and then deleting history essentially gets rid of it.

# 6 01-09-2004 , 10:39 AM
What happened was, I was modeling this chick. It was looking pretty cool. I appiled mesh smooth to see the overall effect and then zoomed up to check something out, forgetting that it was smoothed, I adjusted this and pulled that forward. Zoomed out again only to find that I couldn't undo the smooth. In a desperate attempt to regain my model I started hitting Ctrl-Z. But there weren't enough undo's. And the model was only half done, so I couldn't just leave smooth on.

Anyway, we learn everyday.

# 7 01-09-2004 , 10:40 AM
And it was poly's, no sub-d's

# 8 01-09-2004 , 12:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
If your smooth is still in the model's history, you can click on it in the Channel Box and adjust it's divisions to 0, which turns it off. Vertex adjustments made after the smooth might cause some distortion, but hopefully not enough to screw the model up completely.

# 9 11-09-2004 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
maya 6 has the ability to toggle between smooth/unsmooth via a single key. Also, there are a variety of toggle scripts out there, especially on highend3d. TinyTools has such a feature