Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-01-2005 , 02:13 AM

Dec/Jan - Noob - Aidan

hi all. I've decided to enter the challange. A bit late i know but im in it more for the feedback then anything else.

Here is a character i started on a few days ago, as my first proper attempt at a character made from a single mesh. Also my first try at low poly game style modelling. Well here it is so far:

Attached Images
# 2 20-01-2005 , 02:22 AM
Not exactly sure where im going with this character. But im thinking of making her a post apocalyptic warrior type character with crazy hair and cool boots. Here is a quick concept sketch:

Attached Images
# 3 21-01-2005 , 06:59 AM
Subscriber
kind of reminds me of.....omg the name escapes me right now.....but if any of you guysb watch anime....she looks like the Major from Ghost In the Shell (Stand alone complex more exactly cuz she looks guy-ish in the fist movie).
anyway....off on a wild tangent there.......i love the idea and setting. Can't wait to see her done!!

# 4 21-01-2005 , 07:56 AM
hmm.... 'guyish'?user added image
that wasn't exactly the look i was going for, but funny you should mention it cos ive been trying to model the head today and its been really tricky to get it looking femanine. Like seriously i've been at it for hours arg... who would have thought a friggin female head would be so damn tricky? jeez... Also i have no idea how i'll do the hair.

but on a happier note, i modelled her weapons, and textured one of them. hope you like it!
special thanks to Mike for his tutorial on uv mapping. Reaally helpful.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 21-01-2005 , 08:08 AM
and here is the gun... not sure about this one. i'll probably redo it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 22-01-2005 , 11:11 AM
here is some more progress on the model. I shortened her to a more cartoony seven heads height. she was eight before. Also reduced the breasts, and made the hands. Currently shes at 2740 triangles. also unwrapped the uvs which was real chore especially the hands. Not totally sure of the colours yet. I was thinking of a minimised colour pallet, with dark reds and greys. Anyway let me know what you think. This texturing was more of a way to avoid doing the head than anything else.

Does anyone have any good advice on how to the do the hair? I want it to be scruffy like in the pic but im wondering how on earth i'll do it with just polys.

Attached Images
# 7 23-01-2005 , 01:02 AM
Subscriber
I don't have much experience modelling hair, but one way to do it is to get the overall shape right, then fiddle with a transparency map. Have a look at Mike's Alpha maps tutorial.

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=93

I like the colour ideas and the model.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 8 24-01-2005 , 06:09 AM
thanks alphaflyte, i had a look at mikes alpha tutorial. It looks like it'll be a big help.user added image

I have made a lot more progress on the mesh now. Mainly i did the head, taking a lot of care to keep it as smooth as possible without any ugly looking creases to keep her look as feminine as possible. Here is the head while it was still really early in progress. I painted over it in photoshop so i could get an idea what it might look like as im done (to see how much detail i still needed to add).

Attached Images
# 9 24-01-2005 , 06:15 AM
and here is finished head purely in 3d. Yet to be textured of course. These are just stand in textures atm. The head here is 854 triangles which i will reduce plenty later.

Attached Images
# 10 24-01-2005 , 06:20 AM
and here is the whole thig so far, Just connected the head to the body. This is currently at 3402 triangles and hardly any textures...not quite sure how i'll fit in her weapons in the poly limit. Does any one have any ideas on how i should set up the eyes so i can animate them?

Attached Images
# 11 31-01-2005 , 02:32 AM
I've started trying to do the textures properly now. I got a 1024*1024 texture for the colour so far.

some questions:

1. As this is game art, should i use a specular map? or do i paint the specular onto the colour map. At present i've painted a little bit of light info on the colour map.

2. How exactly do i use the specular map? Which attribute do i link the map to? ie specular colour, specular Roll off or eccentricity?
Should the material be a blinn, a lambert or what?

3. difuse maps??? should i use one, what do they do?

Basically what im thinking is certain parts should react to the light source different if they are more shiny, but if i just paint on the highlights on the colour map they won't react. What is the general approach within the game industry? if there is one. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Also one more question which i will reiterate cos no one replied before. SHould i make the eyes seperate objects? In a typical game would the eyes need to be animated? (im tempted to think not)

Anyways...Here is some wip so far: C&C pleaseuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 31-01-2005 , 02:35 AM
And here is a cool test pose i did with some nice lighting. Current triangle count is 3428 including the knife.

Attached Images
# 13 31-01-2005 , 03:05 AM
The Maya Mountain
Game art has advanced quite a bit, so specular maps are allowed. You'd map them to the specular color attribute, I believe.

Diffuse maps aren't necessary.

Looking pretty neat! I guess the thing I'd suggest the most if a bit more details.

# 14 31-01-2005 , 03:21 PM
Hey! Looking nice Aidan!:tup: She reminds me of that girl from Resident Evil! user added image

Darkness Falls... From Where???
# 15 31-01-2005 , 10:16 PM
Thanks all for your words and thanks Mike for clarifying the specular map. I will try and experiment with the specular colour map, using a blinn.

She reminds me of that girl from Resident Evil!

you mean Jill Valentine?

well i am playing RE3 on gamecube at the moment so i guess it must have somehow influenced my design. Unintentional of course.user added image