Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-07-2008 , 06:11 AM
Subscriber

Eyes

Just used the day to make these...

i'm still new (haven't had much to do with Maya since Jannuary, started in November) and i made these...

this is based on one of the tutorials at Gnomonology

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chirone; 07-07-2008 at 07:30 PM.
# 2 07-07-2008 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
and the collection...

i would have played with the iris's more but the cluster groups didn't get duplicated and i couldn't be bothered painting the weights 4 more times....

also i dont know why the shadow at the bottom right is so sharp...

i thought this was ok... esp since i didn't have reference images of the back of the eye...

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 07-07-2008 , 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Hey these aren't bad. And your shadow is so sharp because you didn't increase your light radius, of course if you increase that you'll need to increase the rays to combat the grainy shadows.

- Genny
# 4 07-07-2008 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
well... it's just that... that edge of the spot ight is sharp but the rest of the spot light isn't...

oh well...
i will try your advice when i go back to this user added image
thanks!

# 5 07-07-2008 , 07:30 PM
Subscriber
ok, final play

i wanted to get clouds onto the eyeball, but my photoshop skills don't extend that far and the cloud filter looks nothing like clouds

there were some existing cloud brushes on people's websites but i wasn't too satisfied with them (maybe cuz i dont know how to use their brushes right?)
anyway
i made this clouded texture, and it was going to be the bump map too. but the bumps didn't work the way i wanted them to...

i also pushed the middle of the iris in for fun

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 09-07-2008 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber
the eyes looks good but a few things i have to crit about them.

well pretty much first of all, the vein's on the eyeball look too flat and makes it look abit wierd i reckon... and second of all, the background is really distracting kinda. coudnt you just put the eyeball's onto a grey phong plane? i think theyd make the render abit more appealing.

anywho, thats my two-cents

# 7 09-07-2008 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
thanks user added image

the viens shouldn't look too raised though right? i can't tell if real viens actually stick out a lot or not user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D