Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-09-2008 , 12:03 PM
Subscriber

Norton Symantec Antivirus, any good?

Hello there,

anyone know if this anti-virus is any good? got a legit version from my IT teacher from school for free today and just sus'ing out if its good or what not?

what are your thoughts if any of you's use it...

marlon

# 2 04-09-2008 , 12:36 PM
Senior Software Developer
I would not touch either Norton or mcAfee products at home. They are very poor at security.

I recommend AVG (Free) or NOD32 £30 forever

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 04-09-2008 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
yeah i used AVG a while back but ever since i formatted along time ago, never really been bothered or gave it a thought ...

cheers for your thoughts chris user added image

# 4 04-09-2008 , 01:21 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Its rubbish, expensive and slows your comp down
go with avg

# 5 04-09-2008 , 03:55 PM
Yeah its fat and bloated, dont bother.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 04-09-2008 , 04:49 PM
Subscriber
I've found spyware terminator to be a pretty good spyware and virus protection... it's a free program just search for it on google.
I also use zone alarm which also has virus protection and it works good.

# 7 04-09-2008 , 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
What about a Kaspersky and Spybot combo?

- Genny
# 8 05-09-2008 , 01:30 AM
I wouldn't recommend AVG. The latest version is said to be bloated and it has/had LinkScanner, which is a feature with a complete total disregard for everyone else on the Internet (Google it). LinkScanner has since be removed, but it still leaves a bad after taste.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 9 05-09-2008 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber
what about clam anti-virus? any good?

also thanks all for your opinions

@ elephantinc - yeah i think it does slow down the computer abit. i have to wait around 2-3minutes as soon as i boot up into windows until i can touch anything ...

@ steve - yeah not gonna bother with it anymore, tested a few other free virus scanners and symantec didnt seem to remove the threat at all? wierd

@ rhetorical - lol by the sound of its name its sounds like one of those viruses trying to bretend to be a virus sacnner :p reading some stuff about it now

@ gect - ived got spybot installed but havnt tried scanning for some odd reason

@ architect - thanks for the note about linkscanner, been reading abit of reviews and seems as if everyone hates it as it sucks all your usage up if you have it enabled...

# 10 06-09-2008 , 11:34 PM
I don't know how good clam anti virus is, but since it was made (I think) mostly for Linux installs acting as a server to detect Windows viruses so it doesn't get spread around, I wouldn't be too confident in its abilities to protect a Windows computer.

GecT mentioned Kaspersky, which I've heard is pretty good. The people from Kaspersky, judging from their articles, also seem to have an idea as to what security is, unlike Norton/Mcafee, who seem to sit back and collect your money.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!