Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 24-10-2009 , 05:46 PM
Technical Director
Yes, there is a demo of Maxwell, however it watermarks your images, and limits the resolution.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 32 01-11-2009 , 11:18 AM
Subscriber
Sorry about the delay. I recently found employment after 7 months of sitting around the house.
I'm still at it though trying to light this dam thing correctly.
I played around with Maxwell - WOW there is a lot to that program! but figured I would go back and play with Mental Ray.
I changed the lights to directional and am able to get (what I think) a not bad picture.
The only issue is that it looks good in the Render View but when I save it out to a jpg file - It looks like crap. Any ideas on that one?
This is what it is:
user added image

I have seen what you all can do and completely understand that this rendering thing takes time to understand but I believe I'm missing something - Setting wise? Using the wrong lighting?
But I'm plugging away at it. Watching tutorials where I can to help understand all the settings that I can adjust but can't seem to get there.

Thanks,
Scott

# 33 01-11-2009 , 06:07 PM
EduSciVis-er
Don't save out as a jpeg... try saving as some other format, I guess like a tiff or something, and if you really want a jpeg, use photoshop or similar to convert your tiff where you have more control. Just a suggestion.

# 34 03-11-2009 , 09:34 PM
Subscriber
Well I found out an answer. It looks like on my one monitor the pic looks great and on the other it looks like crap.
And of course its on the HP (main monitor) that it looks like crap and on the SV? monitor it looks just fine. I don't understand it but will have to look into adjusting the HP one.

Scott

# 35 04-11-2009 , 01:06 AM
Technical Director
Notice that in your image, there are no specular highlights. Final gather does not emit specular highlights, therefore making everything looking flat, like you have here. You must add in lights to create that specularity. If you also have any ambient lights, nuke that as well.

If you need any help, PM me the file, and I'll take a look at it. user added image

Also, with Maxwell, I find it quite easy to use if you go through their tutorials on their site.

# 36 04-11-2009 , 11:59 PM
Technical Director
Alright. I've been playing with the scene for a few minutes, and have written down what I've done. I'll post it up a bit later.

user added image

# 37 05-11-2009 , 02:04 AM
Subscriber
Holy Crap! That looks fantastic!!! Alright.. tell me your secret on what you did!

# 38 05-11-2009 , 04:29 AM
Technical Director
Really, you wern't that far off mate! Only about 30 steps that I've written out, every button press, etc. Still not happy with it though.... But I guess it should be up to you tweak it from now on user added image

I'll send you the file, as well as post up the changes for all to see user added image

# 39 05-11-2009 , 11:26 AM
Subscriber
LOL. Now your trying to make me feel better.
I guess its that last bunch of steps that took it over the edge and the ones that I was trying to figure out.

I really appreciate it though. I can use what I have learned and what you have done and apply it to other models then. Texturing is really a master art form.

I'm very glad I brought it that far from knowing basically nothing.

This is also one of a couple the guy wants me to draw for him and I hopefully will be able to bring the next one to life on what I have learned doing this one.

Thanks again NextDesign for all your help on this and for everyone giving pointers on this project.

I'm going to be really set when the Maya classes begin next year. Just gotta get through some other classes first.

All of you guys/girls are fantastic in what you do and I hope to one day be at that level. And looks like with all your helping I may reach it one day.

Scott

# 40 07-11-2009 , 07:56 PM
Technical Director
Hey Archania, don't worry about it! It takes time!

Here are the steps I went through to create that render. If it doesn't look right in the end, I must have missed something while writing it down. Check the scene file I will email you to see what's going on user added image

1) Delete all existing shaders and textures

2) Delete the texture from lambert1's color slot (never use lambert1)

3) Grouped the scene into more logical areas (old lights, set, and table)

4) Duplicate the persp camera, and lock the new camera's transforms. Name it "render" (Use render to render, and persp to work, fancy that.)

5) Create a new blinn material. Name it wood. Map 001_28.JPG to it's color slot. I also assigned it to the specular color by creating another file texture node, and, under color balance, lightened and desaturated it by setting the color gain to 0.25, and the color offset to 0.5. Changed it's Eccentricity to 0.4, and it's Specular roll off to 0.9.

6) Delete mesh top1. Overlapping geometry.

7) Assign the wood material to table.

8) Your UV's are all the same size, no matter how large the object is. This will make certain pieces have a larger wood grain than others. I fixed this by going into the uv texture editor, and scaling some of the object's uvs until they all looked the same. I then went into the hypershade, selected the wood material, and clicked on graph>input connections. I then changed the two place2dtexture nodes, and changed their repeat uv to 2 (in both fields).

9) Hide your old lights

10) Wishing I had a screen capture program for the mac.

11) Duplicate the wood material. Edit>Duplicate>Shading network. Call this new material darkWood.

12) Graph the network as you did in step 8. Select the file that is giving the material it's color. Change it's Color gain to 26.75, 0.163, 0.728. Change it's color offset to 0.047. Give the material a richer highlight by selected the specular color map, and change it's color gain to 0.504, and it's offset to 0.287.

13) Assign dark wood to the floor.

14) Change the two place2dtexture nodes repeat uv's to 10 and 9. (A cheat so we don't have to go into the uv texture editor)

15) Create another blinn. Call it wall. Pull it's eccentricity to 0.540, and it's roll off to 0.2. Assign this to the wall.

16) Look through your render camera. Go to View>Camera settings>Resolution gate. Do it again, but this time clicking on overscan. This allows you to frame up your shot better.

17) In your render globals, scroll down to renderable cameras, and click the trash button next to persp. We don't want to render out of that camera. I also set the image size to half 1080p (960x540). Now go to the mental ray tab, and under quality presets, choose preview quality. (I'm using 2008, so it's in a different place in 09/10)

18) To make the render faster, under final gathering, I pulled the accuracy down to 20, and the point density to 0.25

19) Take a render. Black right? This is because we don't have any lights visible at the moment. But we're not going to use any. Under mental ray, under environment, click on the create button beside physical sun and sky.

20) Render again. Ahh! Everything is reflective and blown out! We'll deal with the washed out colors first.

21) I added three other walls, and a ceiling, as well as two windows and a skylight (we need to let light in right?) to give us a room, as this is an indoor scene.

22) A new light will be created called sunDirection. Grab this, and rotate it so that it's pointing through all the windows.

23) Render again. Looking better? Good.

24) I decided to use glossy reflections half way through. You can do this by using the Mental ray mia_material_x. Open up the hypershade, and create three of these nodes. Open up the attribute editor on the first one. On the top right, there will be a button named presets. Click this, and choose Glossy Finish>Replace. This will make a preset glossy surface. Do the same for the second one, and on the third, for the wall, choose Matte Finish.

25) Connect the textures of the blinns to these new materials. You'll want to connect them to, under diffuse, color, as well as, under reflection, color. The wall should just be a color set in the diffuse.

26) Assign these shaders to the objects. A trick is to right click on one of the exisiting blinns, and choose "select objects in ...". Now just right click on your new mia material, and choose assign to selected. Do this for all of your blinns.

27) Once done, you can select edit>delete unused nodes, and, if all blinns have been unassigned, they will all be deleted.

28) Take a render now. Looking good!