Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-04-2011 , 07:53 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

April Challenge_Low PolyCharacter_Mastone

Hi Guys

Since characters are right up my alley, I think I will join this one.
I am quite baffled that no one has used this character before, I think I will do a hyperreal version op Mario ( and maybe yoshi).
I will start it once I get home

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-04-2011 , 12:29 PM
Lifetime Member
Good luck with that mastone LOL...I dont know Mario but my son Loki knows him and his mates like the back of his hand...so if I dont undestand soemthing about your model I will ask him...smartest 7 year old in his class...and also the best imagination I think...good luck mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 05-04-2011 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
Yeah! Love mario & Yoshi user added image Played a lot mario in my childhood user added image Nice Memories.

# 4 05-04-2011 , 04:39 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hyperreal version, eh? Remember it's gotta be low poly... are you planning to use zbrush?

# 5 05-04-2011 , 04:52 PM
@Bullet:
Don't know Mario.....that's blasphemy...LOL

@Joey:
Nice Memories.....really? I only remember annoyance and throwing controllers against the wall user added image

@stwert:
I know but 16.000 quads won't be a problem, if Jay gave only a 4000 polycount I would have been in trouble ( or just made a reall ugly normalmap user added image) )

# 6 05-04-2011 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber
I'm a quiet relaxed. no problem 4 me user added image I saw Some Super Mario World lvls on youtube. Impossible difficulty user added image a guy (expert player) giive like 200 tries user added image
I 'm not sure if i'm allowed to post youtube vid user added image
.com/watch?v=VnWot7bX-_c
check it. Insane!!!! & only the 1st lvl user added image

# 7 10-04-2011 , 09:57 PM
Hi Joey

Well I am not that patient and games back then where sometimes so annoying ( I still remember a time in Mariokart-SNES version-when I had Bowser and got bumped of the road by Koopa troopa, which if you know the game was downright impossible to do )..
Well I didn't have much time to mess around with this but managed to get a decent basemesh for the head and took it in Zbrush for some lookdevelopment and really did some loose strokes to get a bit of a feel.
I am really going for a nitty gritty look here, I probably don't have time for a yoshi but I rather make one good thing than 4 things only half way

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 10-04-2011 , 11:20 PM
Lifetime Member
no...no Mario for me...hated the game with a passion...my son on the other hand ZLOVES him....obviously we dont see eye to eye LOL

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 11-04-2011 , 12:15 AM
Administrator
Finally yippee! I've been waiting since this challenge started for someone to do something on Mario or Yoshi user added image

SNES mariocart was the best game ever, I got pushed in the lava by koopa troopa as well so that one just made me laugh he was sooooo annoying that guy.

Nilla

# 10 11-04-2011 , 04:24 AM
Subscriber
That looks awesome Mastone! Also as an aside that looks eerily like one of the owners of a local pizzeria near where I went to college. Seeing these kind of things in Zbrush makes me wish I had the confidence to start taking a crack at the copy of Mudbox I have. Looking forward to seeing your results. I loved Mario he was seconded only by Mega Man as my all time favorite game characters of the old systems.

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 11 11-04-2011 , 12:44 PM
@joey:
try this Mario level YouTube - worlds hardest mario level no lie

@bullet1968:
Don't know how old your kid is but maybe smack him around alot with a Mario game, he" ll learn to hate it then LOL

@Miss_Nova:
So you experienced the same as I did and yes I think Mariokart was one of the best games ever on the snes the later incarnations sucked ( mariokart 64) or at least lacked the brilliance the original had ( I actually still have the supernintendo with that game LOL)

@CGWolfgang:
Thanks, and regarding starting to sculpt, just start, you"ll only learn by doing stuff, I would start with something simple like a hammer so it's manageable and build up from there

# 12 11-04-2011 , 01:02 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL well he is 7 and with a name like Loki..I aint messin with the boy LOL

bullet1968

# 13 11-04-2011 , 04:27 PM
Well name one of your fists Shiva, that god is higher on thee foodchain LOL

# 14 11-04-2011 , 09:03 PM
Have been fiddling with the face again ( and some more stuff like roughing in the overall shape of the body so I can tailor clothes on him with some reference).
Although the first one had a more italian look this one resembles Mario as a character more .

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 11-04-2011 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
Im sorry but its making me laugh - hes looking like indy - mr frods next film mario 2 "needs more coins"