Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-07-2005 , 09:17 AM

Lighting Effect

I am creating a scene were a character walks onto a platform and the platform lights up with a grid type effect. like below
I also need the light to give of a sort of light trail as it shines throught the gaps in the floor.

I have tried using area lights underneath and find that the light spills all ove the scene i need a way to keep it to the central platform.

Please help

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-07-2005 , 10:17 AM
use light linking to control what lights will affects which bits of geo.

lighting/shading>>light linking

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 01-07-2005 , 10:26 AM
yep i tried that and it did just affect my main podium. but i relly need the light to shine through the cracks not just light the scene. i also wanted the light to sort of glare if you know what i mean. like light shining into a fog but with out using a fog effect if possible my computer can hardly handle maya as is. This is what happens with the light linking maybe im still doing somthing wrong?

Attached Images
# 4 01-07-2005 , 10:43 AM
if you want it shinig trough fog you'll have to use fog I'm afraid (if you're animating it) if it's a still you can use maps painted onto planes to fake it.

user added image
Alan

IMDB
# 5 01-07-2005 , 11:01 AM
ok i just linked the light with the fog and it lit up all the fog is that what im ment to do and how do i get the light to not light up both sides of my object when the light is only on one side

# 6 01-07-2005 , 12:42 PM
is it casting shadows? lights will illuminate straight through unless they cast shadows

IMDB
# 7 11-07-2005 , 02:53 PM
ok so i have finaly found a suitable example of the effect im trying to get. And it is going to be animated so i need it to be real and not just faked, although that method has help with another progect. thanks:attn: . Also i need to find a way to make just the edges of my poly shape to glow and the rest of the faces to be transparent. is there any thing like that in maya. also i wana thank you for all the help you have given me so far. thanks again

Attached Images
File Type: bmp lighting effect i want.bmp (35.0 KB, 205 views)
# 8 19-07-2005 , 04:09 PM
Only way I can think of to get that effect is to mess with your shaders. Perhaps layered shader? Set the transparency and the outGlow attributes to your desired effect.

Hope it helps.

# 9 19-07-2005 , 06:59 PM
your image doesn't work. dont save as a bmp use a jpg please

user added image
A

IMDB