Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 06-06-2007 , 03:14 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Thank you guys, very kind.

Someguy: Its funny you say that, because I was at the London Movie and Comic Con last week, and I met a couple of guys who write and draw Brodies law, a graphic novel series. They have a real good promotional gig going on and because of this they have been snapped up to have a movie made basedd on their stuff. So you never know with this too...Maybe if Im lucky like them, perhaps we should start an internet petition!! LOL

I actually thought the girl from Prison Break seriess would be a good actress for my lead character in Outlaws, shes not HOT but shes nice n easy on the eyes and I certainly wouldnt kick her out of bed. LOL

Seriously once Outlaws is done, Im just going to get into doing nice sculpts and renders, you know one off type images...and maybe some animation too

Later
Jay

# 32 06-06-2007 , 02:09 PM
Hey Jay, Just a thought, any chance of a mailing list for when the new pages go up?

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 33 06-06-2007 , 02:53 PM
Hey Steve

I believe my sites software allows it, I'll check it out....Great Idea!!

Cheers
Jay

# 34 06-06-2007 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
Thank you guys, very kind.

Someguy: Its funny you say that, because I was at the London Movie and Comic Con last week, and I met a couple of guys who write and draw Brodies law, a graphic novel series. They have a real good promotional gig going on and because of this they have been snapped up to have a movie made basedd on their stuff. So you never know with this too...Maybe if Im lucky like them, perhaps we should start an internet petition!! LOL

I actually thought the girl from Prison Break seriess would be a good actress for my lead character in Outlaws, shes not HOT but shes nice n easy on the eyes and I certainly wouldnt kick her out of bed. LOL

Seriously once Outlaws is done, Im just going to get into doing nice sculpts and renders, you know one off type images...and maybe some animation too

Later
Jay

That'd be good. I hope this gets some good recognition. Any idea how long it's going to be in the end?

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 35 06-06-2007 , 10:23 PM
SomeGuy:

Yeah same here thanks..

As for the length of the whole story, it stands at 26 chapters so far. To give you an indication of chapter length, this current one is around18-20 pages. Despite it all being planned out and written etc, it only really comes to light in the storyboarding stage, which I do every Saturday morning religiously for an hour, sometimes thumbnail sketches to get a feel for shots, or finalising them in more detail in a larger format in a storyboard book. I can then make proper notes on light setups, atmosphereic details, what needs to be 3d or a 2d element and more importantly the speech bubble layout, and the text itself if needed.

Sorry for the rant, I like to explain the process a bit as its not the usual 3d thing ie; animation etc

Cheers for now
Jay

# 36 07-06-2007 , 12:02 AM
it's good to hear how you describe your work flow Jay, so keep it coming. And yeah - i definitely agree with gster - a mailing list would really help you keep people interested.

# 37 07-06-2007 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
Nice page Jay,

this'll be going for a good while then, good news!

I remember you saying a while back that your day job was a 3D comic illustrator (Striker I think it was). I hope you don't mind me asking but what pages are you making at the moment and to be even bolder... what do they think of your novel?

Later,

Mat.

# 38 07-06-2007 , 09:17 PM
Mat

No, I dont mind you asking. But I dont work on Striker anymore, I had a bit of a falling out there after a situation arose, so I left and now I work at The Sun newspaper in London, but now Im doing the Premier 3d cartoon for their website. Its pretty much like Striker in the way that its about football players and their day to day stuff, but we like to think its better in terms of overall feel. And its not as predictable either. We use Maya and Ps all day everyday there too which is great!!

If you are interested in seeing it, you can go to www.thesun.co.uk and visit their fun and games section or go directly to www.redparkcity.co.uk theres a good archive section there to view from a while back, but we dont store it all online other wise its too much. But the great thing is its all free!! (unlike striker) It has downloads (papers) by myself which Im quite proud of as I built it those characters from scratch, and am continuing with new characters as I speak. If though, the artwork looks dodgy in places, just bear in mind that 2 pages are produced by one person in around 8 hours or less just to get it out for deadline!!

As for comments from my dudes at work over Outlaws, they like it, so they say, but another two are working on their own online comics. One is in 2d at www.maxgorilla.com its just brilliant, I love it. The other guy is doing a 3d one but hes not quite ready yet, but hes threatening us with it for the end of Summer!

Anyways I hope this little blast doesnt bang on...

Cheers
Jay

# 39 09-06-2007 , 01:31 PM
Subscriber
Hehe great stuff Jay, I am enjoying it so far... pretty cool user added image

Only thing sometimes i forget which bubbles comes first to read user added image :p

Yeah i agree with Steve, make a subscription thing so that we get email's every time there is an update, smart idea ... They'd be great!

" I actually thought the girl from Prison Break series would be a good actress for my lead character in Outlaws, shes not HOT but shes nice n easy on the eyes and I certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed. LOL"

Hahaha! funny, i agree user added image

Marlon J

# 40 09-06-2007 , 05:20 PM
Hey Marlon John

Thanks dude!

Okay all, now if you register @ outlaws tales, I'll be able to email you once the pages go up and it will save me coming to the forums every five minutes, though thats not a problem.

Now the only thing once you register is that you will get sent a password, only the catch is it wont work as there nothing really to log into, ie forum etc. I have a feeling there is a small code issue there within the software for that part. Im still looking into it.

But the main thing is I can get your email address's to mail you a notice!!

Jay

# 41 09-06-2007 , 06:04 PM
Hey Jay

Just tried to register, but i'm a bit cinfused at to where to do it, I clicked in your blog but to no avail, I might be missing something really obvious???

If it was me I would have a big link on the homepage, just below the comic strip sayaing register here, grab em while you can and its fresh in the mind!

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 42 09-06-2007 , 06:11 PM
Hey Steve

yeah sorry mate, the register button is under the links in the side bar at the bottom. I'll put it in the blog...

Thanks for the heads up

Jay

# 43 11-06-2007 , 10:52 AM
I just came across this thread and im realy happy that i had a look.
The comic so far is realy great and the images are very nicely done.
Il definately be keeping an eye on the story.
Looking forward to the updates.
How long does it take roughly to create the pages?

user added image

# 44 11-06-2007 , 11:43 AM
Azman

Many thanks.

the time taken on pages is really dependant on content involved and my frame of mind too. Page 1 probably took a couple of hours because its purely Photoshop work no 3d was involved. Page 2 was only two shots but that took two weeks because of what was needed and I was being real fussy. I think you get my drift here. Its all swings and roundabouts.

But doing a similar thing as a day job, I produce two pages a day. But as this particular project is personal and is being done in my own time it takes longer, basically because everything is better. But once the assets are there, they are re-usable which is the great thing with 3d as opposed to a 2d comic

Cheers for now
Jay

# 45 11-06-2007 , 03:22 PM
I'm on that there rootin' tootin' list now Jay, keep us up to date with the progress.
If you ever feel like doing a 'how this chapter was made' breakdown then I'm sure we would all find it really interesting - a bit like a 'how this was made' section like you see on DVD's. Obviously time permitting ;o)

Keep up the cool work.
Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net