Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-07-2010 , 11:58 AM
Subscriber

World of warcraft/ Blizzard Ent.

Ola.

Does anyone on here play world of warcraft? Ive never really known what its about, so i bought it the other day, for... you know...'research'.... Had to wait an age to download all the patches for it to bring it up to speed,then created my character, but am yet to actually start playing. Ive heard horror stories about how its taken over peoples lives. Should i be wary? Does it make me a bad person? Should i not go round telling people that i play it?

Last edited by ben hobden; 04-07-2010 at 12:00 PM.
# 2 04-07-2010 , 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Lol "should I not go around telling people that i play it?"

It can take over your life if you let it, just like anything else to which you get addicted. I guess you just have to remember to see it for what it is, a source of amusement.

I played Wow for a bit (Horde rules Alliance sucks user added image) but recently I started playing Aion (it has the visual beauty of Lineage II with the faction vs faction drama of Wow) Wow has gotten increasingly easier over time so playing that for any real amount of time and switching to any other mmo that requires grinding to level up can be annoying.

- Genny
# 3 04-07-2010 , 06:30 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I don't think it can take over your life and if it does you either let it because you want it too (because you really enjoy it) or there is something very wrong with you. user added image

I do think it is a massive waste of time though and don't really think it's that enjoyable.

# 4 05-07-2010 , 12:00 AM
I got sucked into WoW for awhile. I don't play anymore but it can definitely consume alot of your time without you realizing. You can make friends on the game. You can explore. You can do Player v/s Player (pvp) and player v/s environment (pve). There are achievements you can get, and you can collect ground and flying mounts. Leveling up a character for the first time can be very fun. Once you reach level 80, getting better gear becomes the main thing. But eventually you get to a point to where you've done everything the game has to offer and that's when it got boring for me.

Everyone is different but I found PvP to be the most fun, but eventually I got too overpowering to the point that I hardly ever died. That might sound like a good thing but it can be quite boring when fighting is no longer a challenge.

And like Gect said, Horde Rules.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 05-07-2010 , 12:48 AM
Subscriber
never played it, never will, i hear the patches are large and it would take me a month or more to actually get them, that and i cant be bothered paying the subscription

i have had friends who have literally taken a year off from uni to play the game (not explicitly but thats all they did really)
i also dont like multiplayer games all that much... too much nerd rage

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 05-07-2010 , 04:58 AM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, I think it's pretty easy to have it take over... so I'd be wary, but if you've got a healthy dose of self-control, it should be fine. Just set out explicit time limits or something.

# 7 05-07-2010 , 05:36 AM
Lifetime Member
I know a few who are consumed by it...as said self control man...its in the chi. I havent played it and never will...I like being on my own too much and killing things instantly..ie CODMW etc. Much more fun

Then again I am addicted to Maya...hmmmmm....

Its like FB as well mate...I know so many people addicted to it..even guys at work via mobile are FB all day!!!!!

in the chi

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 06-07-2010 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber
I shall tread with caution then. To be honest, I'm not massively up for it, it's not like I'm dead excited about it and looking forward to playing it, I just want to know what it's about. There's also a part of me that's hoping it might reawaken a liking for fanatsy type stuff, as all I've played games wise for so long now, is MW2.

About all this horde/alliance stuff. When I created my character I choose to be one of the undead race. Does this make me horde or alliance? As I understood from the introduction, one time there was a definite good/evil divide between the two, but these days, the boundaries have become a bit more blurred? ha ha.

# 9 06-07-2010 , 10:40 AM
Lifetime Member
Tell you what ben...get your head off of the laptop and pick up a book called 'Magician' by Raymond Feist (If you havent already read it). Me Im an encyclopedia/documentary man..hence why I dont watch much TV...too much crap.

I play games a lot...CODMW2 took me 4-6 hours...finished. Thats why I prefer Maya...Im learning..and its dynamic..as you know, by the looks..games get kinda boring..no matter how good the graphics.

As everyone here has pretty much said...HEY HAVE FUN MATE...bahahaha...scare ya?? Nah joking mate...as long as you enjoy it and it doesnt take up over things....like...feeding the salamander or cat or dog..well just do it.

As in any game, book, reality, alliances are forged between all races..some evil are good at heart..some good are actually selfish and evil at heart..just like life.

Enough of that though...trust me..read the book above...its fantasy at its best..the laymans LOTR!! Easy to understand and just a bloody good read mate..and that is coming from me!! sheesh I hope my wife doesnt log on as me and read this!! bahahaha

Just enjoy it if it is good for you mate..life is too short for regrets

cheers bullet

Once you know these 3 characters...then you have truly re-awakened your fantasy side Pug, Thomas and Jimmy the Hand. Then you have lived...riveting stuff

Edit: the book I aspire too is book 3 of the first trilogy. If you are the undead in the game then you will LOVE the Black Slayers...trust meuser added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 06-07-2010 at 10:48 AM.
# 10 02-08-2010 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
I've played it. It's a great game with a great story. Once you understand the game play and how the game works <if you play long enough you'll know what I mean> you will work <play> more and more to get better gear more items and money etc..

My girlfriend and I played it together while we were in college.. we figured it was cheap entertainment since we were always broke, no cable tv, no extra cash to joy ride, go to a movie.. etc but one weekend after a raid we looked at the clock and it was 4am. We both agreed that night to quit playing we deleted it the next day.

It counts how long you play and lets you know when you first come into the realm. We both averaged like 60 consecutive days of playing.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd. It's got to the point where people are just plain trash on there now. It will kill your brain cells and trying to deal and talk with people on there is worthless for the most part unless it's with people you know in RL or just happen to find a friendly guild.. my server sucked. Too bad I realized that after I level 5 80's with all t9 gear and a few with t10..

Now we do more things that cost are just as enjoyable and still doesn't cost a lot.

MY TWO CENTS user added image

PS as mentioned above about books.. Yes read a fantasy book or something.. opens ur imagination up.

I recommend the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Last edited by Ataraxy; 02-08-2010 at 01:17 AM.