Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-05-2011 , 09:30 AM
rm3d

propeller animation

hey guys i really want to make a propeller or a plane look like its going really fast, almost like that solid circle you them turn into on real planes, any tips/advice on how to achieve this? ive tried keyframing with rendered motion blur it looks rubbish user added image

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 2 11-05-2011 , 10:17 AM
The thin red line
Ive never done this, I would look into a disc with a blured image in it(transparencey) revolving at say every 20 frames in a 24 frame per min shot, also set the shader to fade in and out at 20 frames. There is most likely a better solution......dave

# 3 11-05-2011 , 10:56 AM
The Nurb Herd
use a circular ramp.

# 4 11-05-2011 , 02:14 PM
rm3d
cheers guys ill give both a try

# 5 11-05-2011 , 02:54 PM
The thin red line
If you try my one let use know how it went..........dave

# 6 11-05-2011 , 08:10 PM
rm3d
the texture idea worked well, 20frames is a bit slow, 10frames is good. , sorry honestdom i dont have time to go with the ramp idea so i dont know if its better user added image but the texture is really good for what i need user added image

# 7 11-05-2011 , 08:32 PM
rm3d
ok another question i have the transparency from photoshop but how do i get the transparency in maya user added image

# 8 11-05-2011 , 08:55 PM
The thin red line
I use a mentalray mai material x shader, in the advanced dropdown plug a alpha into the cutout opacity(will post one I have done for a leaf to see what I mean) make shore the alpha is luminus is ticked in the file node..........dave

Edit: the good thing about this shader you can you another transparencey layer in it

Attached Images

Last edited by daverave; 11-05-2011 at 09:02 PM.
# 9 11-05-2011 , 09:05 PM
The Nurb Herd
haha, the ramp idea was to save you time making a couple of maps in photoshop. perhaps i should have explained more. user added image

# 10 11-05-2011 , 10:29 PM
rm3d
im so sorry to be a pain but i cant figure out this alpha channel stuff, i have an alpha channel created in photoshop but every time i try to export using a .tga format the alpha channel tick box is greyed out user added image seriously stressing over this now user added image

# 11 11-05-2011 , 11:02 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

im so sorry to be a pain but i cant figure out this alpha channel stuff, i have an alpha channel created in photoshop but every time i try to export using a .tga format the alpha channel tick box is greyed out user added image seriously stressing over this now user added image

Save it as a .png or something. The alpha channel map needs to just be an image, the photoshop thing is if you are embedding transparency within an image, which you're not, you're creating an image to dictate the transparency of another one.

# 12 12-05-2011 , 08:27 AM
rm3d
hey guys thanks for the help, i solved the problem(ish) haha my problem was that photoshop wasnt letting me save it out with alpha channels, then for some reason it started too. so that allowed me to finally save the alpha matte. and i tried just saving it as a separate image and then plugging it into the transparency channel but that wasnt working either. I think it was just the software playing mind games with me as it was late user added image but i just couldnt get them to work!
solved now.

thanks again.