Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-02-2004 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber

extruding

for some reason when i try to extrude this comes up help would be great thanks chris

Attached Thumbnails

An idea is delicate.
It can be killed by a sneer or yawn,
It can be stabbed to death by a joke
Or worried to death by a frown
On the right persons brow.
-Charles Browers
# 2 29-02-2004 , 08:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
warnings are not necessarily something to worry about in most cases. Errors are what you need to watch out for.

# 3 29-02-2004 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber
the problem is...i cant extrude

An idea is delicate.
-Charles Browers
# 4 29-02-2004 , 08:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
hmm, I'd need more info about what you are doing, the model, etc. screens might help.

# 5 29-02-2004 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
i'll click extrude and nothing happensuser added image

Attached Thumbnails

An idea is delicate.
-Charles Browers

Last edited by NNY Design; 29-02-2004 at 08:38 PM.
# 6 29-02-2004 , 08:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
It looks like the extrude has taken place (the little blue dots on the edges of your selected faces are the faces the extrude created). If your extrude face gizmo is not showing up, you should be able to use the normal move tool and move those faces up to where you want them.

# 7 01-03-2004 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber

Wrong sub-menu

Actually, dude I believe you are attempting to use extrude in the surfaces menu. Poly faces are extruded under"edit polygons/ extrude faces" .you should now see the proper tools.

happy poliday

Is a fool still a fool if he knows it ?
# 8 01-03-2004 , 10:51 PM
Subscriber
ive been using the ones under the edit polys user added image

Chris

An idea is delicate.
-Charles Browers
# 9 04-03-2004 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber
does anyone know how to fix this problem i cant get my extrude to work right and it is realy suckin thanks chris

An idea is delicate.
-Charles Browers
# 10 07-03-2004 , 05:50 AM
As Mike said, you appear to have already extruded once as the tiny faces along the edges indicate that an extrude has occured. Why you are not getting the extrude manipulator is the issue.

I would recommend you try this just to see if you have inadvertantly turned on/off something in your preferences.

1. Open Maya

2. Create a single Poly plane

3. select a single face and then edit poly>extrude face and see if you get the manipulator.

If you do then you have something in your other scene that is wanking you.

You might try deleting the faces including the tiny zero area ones already in your scene (from the screen image you provided). Then use polygon>append poly to recreate the deleted faces, then try to extrude again.

Or maybe export the model then open a new scene import the model will sometimes clear up goofy settings.

As a newbie myself I found out very quickly you have to be VERY careful about accidentally pressing any keys on you keyboard as Maya maps them to all sorts of shortcuts and it is pretty easy to get yourself all wrapped around the axle turing on/off some goofy mode or feature by accidentally hitting some hotkey. Mys favorite way to get screwed up is to select a part and start typing in a name for it and the next thing I know I have hit 15 hotkeys before I realize I did not have the name selected in the channel box!

Worst case the point you are in that model it might be easier to start from scratch.

Good luck,
RAM

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 07-03-2004 at 05:53 AM.
# 11 07-03-2004 , 04:22 PM
Try to reinstal maya it`s the easyer way to solw problem, if that don`t work try to reinstal OS, and if that don`t work try to make animations woth flash user added image) just joking don`t read my last line user added image

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too