Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 26-03-2006 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber

feathering shadow?

Hi, im rendering a shot, were a tin soldier walks on a shelf. I put a directional light on him and turned ray trace shadows on. Works fine, but how could I feather them? Id like them to be nice and crisp while they are close to his body, but they should fade in the distance. I played around with the Shadow rays and ray depth limit. Also with the options you have in render globals, with no effect though.

If anyone knows please let me know

thanks.

# 2 26-03-2006 , 06:41 PM
i think what you are reffering to is "light radius" which is located right above the raytracing depth in the lights attributes(please tell me if this works)

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 26-03-2006 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber
yep, that did the job pretty well, it is called "light angle" in my maya (6.5). Somehow I thought it has nothing to do with what I want, silly me:headbang:

thanks joopson

# 4 26-03-2006 , 10:14 PM
lol, sorry, i never use directional lights, on every other light it should be called light radius, but not in directional lights:headbang: hehe

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com