Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-04-2008 , 01:21 AM

Attach Surface problem...

Well, here I am again...

I'm making a bullet. So I made a NURBS circle, duplicated it a bunch of times, changing the scales on each, arranging them in such a way and lofted the curves 2 curves at a time to get this:

user added image

After that, I selected two surfaces and clicked on Attach Surfaces (Connect, Keep Originals OFF).

user added image

After attaching everything, when I try to move the bullet, it seems to stick to the first surface I attached, and just gets pulled with that other surface staying in place, looking all deformed. I tried deleting history already and removing the curves. To show you, I have this picture of attaching only the first two surfaces on the top, and then I centered the pivot and attempted to move them away... I got this effect:

user added image

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

# 2 10-04-2008 , 02:59 AM
are you sure you deleted history - did you have the objects selected when you did it?

# 3 10-04-2008 , 03:32 AM
Yes I'm pretty sure I did those... In fact I did it again just now just to make sure, and I got the same effect.

Thing is, if I use KEEP ORIGINALS ON, it seems to work now... But I'm quite sure it SHOULD work with Keep Originals Off, right?

# 4 10-04-2008 , 05:12 AM
hmm - don't have my computer in front of me just now so not sure - think keep originals just makes a copy rather than use the actual objects - but hey, if it's working, best to just keep moving forward!

# 5 11-04-2008 , 01:36 AM
That's right! Got the bullets done so it's all good. Thanks once again!