Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-04-2011 , 03:51 AM
SM Tea Boy

Advertising on the internet - Repost from 8 years ago

I originally posted this 8 years ago on Simplymaya ( found it again with the new site search user added image ) It was true then it's even truer now.

I'd rather pay than see adverts. Whats your opinion?

What is it with sites now a days? I cant go anywhere now especially on a site that generates more than five visitors a day without seeing big annoying flashing advertisements and I'm sick of it, I can no longer even be bothered to watch TV, every 10 minutes someone pops up trying to sell me something, I hate advertising It leads to a myth that things on the internet should be free because you can just slap adds all over them ID RATHER BLOODY PAY than put up with it.

Pop ups, now we got pop unders, DHTML banners flying past all over the dam place how long do you think before we manage to completely turn the internet into one giant FKN useless TV advertisement, I could get a pop up killer but we all do that now so they just make the dam things 2x as big and embed them in the page your viewing, it seems the only reason to create a user community on-line now is to build it up to the point where you can slap flash banners all over the dam place

In the UK we now allow corporate companies to sponsor schools how long before your kids start coming home with enjoy coke a cola stamped on the back of there text books.

I HATE ADVERTISING ON WEB SITES

This rant brought to you by David.

David

Install ad-block and say **** um

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 01-04-2011 , 05:32 AM
Lifetime Member
I agree with passion David, sadly for my partner and my children...Dad HATES ads and all the bullshit that goes with thm..."but wait...theres more...get a free steak knife etc etc". My home page at Telstra does this all the f*****g time!!! and it drives me NUTS...no I cant, I have Google as default but at Telstra its NOT metered..which sucks us mobile broadband in...but Im like you David, I pay the extra...f**k Telstra. So you can imagine the WW3 episodes in my house when the kids and missus go "ohhh look....sweet...when can we get one..." Dad says "like f**k, we dont need it, I dont care if its yellow and spins in a circle to make crop circles..we dont NEED it".

Surfing the net now has become, as you said David....a pain in the arse...and I dont watch TV either..for that reason...even SBS in our country has fallen the commercial lines...damn!

Typival TV show:
2030: starts and shows last weeks ending
2032: music cue...actor credits
2034: Stargate will be back in a moment..
2035: Dad outside with dog having beer.....doesnt go back inside until bedtime.

Hear hear David..thanks for Simply Maya

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 01-04-2011 , 05:56 AM
Yeah, advertising is WAY FREAKING OUT OF CONTROL. Seems like there's more advertising times on TV, radio, beginning of movies at the theater, the majority of websites, my freaking emails, my home phone. Most of the time when I call some company and I get put on hold, I get blasted with advertising. It's without a doubt annoying without end.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 03-04-2011 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber

2034: Stargate will be back in a moment..

....Why you gotta pick on stargate?

G-man

# 5 03-04-2011 , 10:54 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I think in many cases they're necessary. If it wasn't for ads there would only be 6 tv channels in this country. Most of the websites I frequent wouldn't exist because they wouldn't be able to afford to exist.
In many cases I think they're great, when they're inconspicuous and save me from having to pay.
The idea of paying to read a movie review or blog post just wouldn't work when people have a free option.
I do like sites like XKCD that make their money from selling things rather than adverts but in many cases that just wouldn't work.

Still, in many cases they could be more subtle but then would you notice them? I know I never click on adverts and block most of them out (particularly on sites where I'm familiar with the layout)

Adverts in things I have to pay for are annoying. I know it's how magazines make money but it's still annoying in 3D world when you get 30 pages of adverts (once there was a 21 page Dell advert....). Still, if it saves me money then it's fine in moderation, but maybe they should have to put on the front the percentage of adverts, so when you buy a thick magazine you know it's only thick because of adverts.

But my god, TV adverts in america are insane on some channels.

# 6 03-04-2011 , 11:24 PM
Lifetime Member
Cos I can LOZ...just cos I can..LOL

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 04-04-2011 , 01:02 AM
I know the thread is labeled "internet" advertisements but I got a phone call yesterday. I answered the phone and it was a recording of an advertisement for life insurance. The recording started out as "This is a courtesy call" as if they are doing me a favor.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 8 04-04-2011 , 01:17 AM
Lifetime Member
We have calls similar ALL the time...even though we are on the do not call register. Usually about mobile phones etc...the latest around here though is the 'call centre'...ringing up to inform you that your internet is causing interference with others in your vicinity or that they have 'detected' a virus on your PC...please let us help you with remote assistance to attend to this problem..........bahahahahahaha...sadly some people actually let them have access...tut tut

cheers bullet

bullet1968