Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-07-2012 , 09:02 PM

particles with opacityPP attribute not rendering properly

I have a volume emitter set to cloud s/w for the particle type. I have an opacityPP attribute set to use a ramp for the opacity which is using a value of 0 at birth, 1 somewhere in the middle, and 0 at death. When playing my simulation in the timeline, the opacity appears to be working properly in a shaded viewport.

I have a fluid texture applied to the particles.

When I render in mental ray, the opacityPP seems to be ignored and the texture is rendering from birth even though the particle opacity is at 0 at that point.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks!

# 2 19-07-2012 , 12:46 AM
an update: After much searching, I found that other people have found a solution to this and that solution is the particleSamplerInfo node.

after all my reading, it seems all I need to do is input the opacityPP into the particleSamplerInfo node, possibly add a reverse node, then output the p.s.i. node to the transparency of the fluid texture.

For all my efforts, I can attach the p.s.i. node to the transparency, but I can't hook up the opacityPP to it for some reason. Can anyone help?

# 3 19-07-2012 , 07:15 PM

solved

got it figured out. I had little knowledge of the particleSampler node and didn't realize it takes no input, it just samples the scene. After that it was just a matter of connecting the sampler to the proper spot on the reverse node. Hours of internet searching, forum trolling, and it just took a friend of mine who had a better knowledge of the sampler to explain it...sigh. Now my fluid is rendering properly. Hope this post can help someone out in the future.

# 4 06-11-2015 , 12:52 PM
it did. Thanks