Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-12-2015 , 11:20 AM

Mental Ray is rendering with aliased borders, doesn't matter the quality setup.

Hello! I've updated to maya 2016 recently and I'm still cunfused with the new settings tabs they've made for rendering but I was working in a file yesterday, modeling a spear (Chastiefol from Nanatsu no Taizai) and after applying the base materials from my presets it was redering fine with 1.50 in overall quality and 1.00 in lightining, Diffuse and materials quality as you can see on this preview render:
user added image
It's not perfect, but it's only a preview render to see how the materials was going, then after tweaking a little more the materials i tried again, but that time I've increased the overall Quality to 3.00 an the result was way worse in the concern of aliasing on the edges:
user added image
Then I tried raising all the quality bars to 5, then 10 and nothing seemed to solve the problem, I tried deleting history, optimising scene but none of it worked.
Any ideas on how to fix that?

# 2 16-12-2015 , 12:30 PM
Subscriber
those settings seem extremly high, can you post some pictures of what issues you are having?

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 3 16-12-2015 , 01:40 PM

those settings seem extremly high, can you post some pictures of what issues you are having?

Yeah, they are extremely high, But I was desperate. If you open the last image on a new tab it will open on full resolution (it's actually downsampled but it's enough to see) you will be able to see that the corners of my model are aliased just as if the amount of samples were too low, but now I know that the problem is not with the render but rather with the renderview on maya, I think I got so frustrated When I saw this that I didn't even thinked about exporting the render and open it in photoshop and when I did it I found it was just fine. Then I found that if I zoom-in the rendered image on the renderview more than 100% it fixes the aliasing too I mean it starts pixelating the image but I can no longer see any imperfection on the edges of the model.

And that's partially good because it means my work will not be jeopardized but it still means that I will need to save my render and open it in an external app if I want to see how things really are wich will take a lot of time in long terms and slow down my workflow. Maybe it's something to do with image format, compression or colorspace but in that case, reseting the render settings and loading a maya preset shouldn't fix that?

Last edited by meuvoy; 16-12-2015 at 01:46 PM.
# 4 16-12-2015 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber
can you post your scene file and i will load it up tonight and render?

you can send to devnull@wardles.org if you dont want to post it on the forum.

Cheers Myth

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1