Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 31-08-2013 , 10:12 AM

Layered Texture Render Issues (MentalRay)- (Resolved)

Last edited by cod3; 01-09-2013 at 06:15 AM.
# 2 31-08-2013 , 12:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Can you zip up the scene file and attach it to the thread. The link points to TextureTest 1.mb.exe. No good on my mac.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 3 31-08-2013 , 12:26 PM

Can you zip up the scene file and attach it to the thread. The link points to TextureTest 1.mb.exe. No good on my mac.

Thanks for reply,

in the file download page there is a check box that says "Use our download manager and get recommended downloads", PLEASE UNCheck it.,...and click on download.

The file is in .mb format itself. user added image
Once again thanks.

EDIT : for convenience..

Attached Files
File Type: zip TextureTest 1.zip (15.5 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by cod3; 31-08-2013 at 12:59 PM.
# 4 31-08-2013 , 02:19 PM
Lifetime Member
To render vertex color information with mental ray you need to use the metalrayVertexColors node. When you do this you will have a white plane with some transparent patches. The tutor assigns white with alpha = 1 (solid) to the whole mesh just before he starts painting white on white but with the alpha = 0 (transparent). To get an idea of what you will see in the render when you use the vertexcolors node, switch your screen renderer to High Quality or Viewport 2.0.
To get around this you can try baking the existing color information of the texture material into the vertices. I'm note sure if you will loose the existing alpha information when you bake it. The down side is you will loose most of the detail as there are just not enough vertices.

Any particular reason you want to use vertex painting?

# 5 31-08-2013 , 02:32 PM
but even if I try to render using Maya Software, it still the same.

and there is no particular reason to use vertex painting?

All I want to accomplish is to perform this procedure LIVE on my object with 2 layers (eg : grass and dirt)

any further ideas other than mrvertexcolor ? [i will surf about this mrvertexcolor on net]

# 6 31-08-2013 , 03:26 PM
Lifetime Member
I very rarely use the maya software renderer so unfortunately can't help you there. I can understand the convenience of painting the alpha interactively. What I would do:
First I'll get the UV's back into the 0-1 space, use the repeat UV attributes on the place2dTexture nodes to tile the texture, paint the alpha and once satisfied, export the alpha values of the vertices to a texture. (In the paint vertex color tool, under the attribute maps section) I would use this texture as a starting point in PS as an alpha channel on the "rust" texture or even use the texture as is for the alpha attribute in the layered texture.

I'm sure there must be other ways of achieving this so I'm throwing this open to the other gurus on this forum.

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 31-08-2013 , 06:35 PM

Thank You

I just want to show u a screenshot. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 31-08-2013 , 06:42 PM
Lifetime Member
You're welcome

# 9 31-08-2013 , 06:45 PM
I have been trying this for more than 6 months, trying some work arounds or substitutes for this[like in photoshop] , but you made my day, you are The Man.

Thank you once again for all the efforts in helping me. I want to get you a beer.

Attached Thumbnails