Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-09-2014 , 06:34 PM

Black pixels when using Mitchell or Lanczos

I'm getting this issue when I use Mitchell or Lanczos sample mode user added image

Even on surface shaders I get these black dots.

I only got rid of them by making a scene from scratch and importing the old scene into the new scene, however this is a less than ideal solution since I have to reapply all shaders. I want to know what causes this.

Another problem I'm having with the same scene (even the new/imported one) is all of the sudden the scene takes longer then normal to render, about 3 times what it should take even though it's just type with a HDR lookup sphere and a blurred version of it linked for final gather. Settings are what I normally use with no problems. The only "complicated" thing in the scene is reflection of the type. And even though it`s taking long I'm still getting unacceptable amount of noise. I'm new to mental ray but this type of stuff makes me think I should stick to vray. Hopefully some blessed soul can help me out here. user added image

# 2 10-09-2014 , 11:01 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 10-09-2014 , 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
They could be NAN artifacts and who knows how they're being generated. Could try :

- Run a clean up on the geometry if it's poly
- Export problem model as obj(and not a maya scene file) and import

Even though it seems like a geometry issue you could try:

- Disable any IBL and FG and test
- Even with IBL enabled, try a different HDRI and test

- Genny
# 4 15-09-2014 , 02:08 PM
exporting and importing as obj resolved issue, thank you user added image