Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-02-2011 , 09:14 PM

Texture a NURBS surface without dynamic stretching

I'm trying to texture a roll of duct tape, which moves and leaves down a trail of tape behind it. I have the end CV of a NURBS attached to a point on the roll with a MEL script. The curve has 5 CVs, the script moves three of them and the first two stay in place on the ground. I have this curve lofted to another instance on the other side of the tape's width to create a NURBS surface. Onto this I apply the tape texture, which is a standard blinn with the color and bump maps comprised of a grid-like image. When I apply it to the NURBS surface, it is stretched and squashed in the different areas. Toggling "fix texture warp" on the surface rectifies this in a render, which is great. Unfortunately, as the tape gets longer, the texture stretches along the surface in the direction of elongation. The "fix texture warp" still works in making the texture seem uniform along the surface, but the size changes. The obvious fix for this to me is to use a 3D projection instead, but the tape roll moves vertically (off the ground) as well and therefore some of the unrolled tape is not on the ground but has a vertical component, so a planar projection doesn't work and I can't find anything else that does either. It seems like I need features from both normal and projection, but I can't figure out how. Any ideas?